Just-Reduced Clearance
41 Members and 15728 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Argan Oil-smell?

Started 1287596157.003 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1287605386.78 by Sunniegirl

After watching the on air presentation of the Josie Maran Argan Oil I really wanted to try it-so i went over to ebay and bought a small bottle there to try it out. This oil smells identical to Olive Oil...for those of you who have used this before, is this what it smells like? It doesn't bother me but i want to make sure i am getting Argan Oil, and not Olive Oil. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
mrsbart1287596816.353327 PostsRegistered 9/8/2010

I have Josie's Argan oil and can't smell a thing so it would be difficult to say. I doubt you are getting olive oil from Josie. Just my opinion........

myboy2181287597314.7753 PostsRegistered 9/29/2009

I would check the expiration date on the bottle you bought on Ebay. I bought a Bare Essentials product on Ebay that smelled, and when I looked at the expiration date, it was a year older. I also recently bought Carmex lotion (same brand as the Carmex lip balm). I saw it at a deep discount store, and it smells horrible. So, I'm wondering if these oils, lotions, etc go rancid after their exp. date.

anastacia7­20011287598343.6171378 PostsRegistered 12/22/2008

it resembles that of olive oil, w/ a stronger smell. i know my description doesn't make sense.

but ARGAN oil should have a smell a cross between olives, nuts, and oil..............

i've purchased mine in Morocco, so i can tell you that i am getting the real stuff because i watch them pressing the "nuts" at the refinerie d'huile(oil refinery).

if you, or anyone else is getting argan w/ out a scent, then I WOULD QUESTION the product you are getting.

the smell in this refinery was so strong the workers wear masks. to me it smells like what it edible one tasted like.(you get to dip bread in it before you buy)

i just went and smelled my bottles(yea i have 3 opened because dh uses it from head to toe) and they all have a strong OIL smell.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

edited to add:

Sunflower oil is very popular in morocco(the plant grows wild) and many "street vendors" who sell to tourists will sell sunflower oil w/ maybe a drop or two of argan.

its always a gamble to know if you are getting the real stuff, unless you are pressing the nuts ur self. (some tourists prefer to do this, when argan is in season).

thats another thing argan is in so much demand these day i TRULY DOUBT, that all vendors are using 100% even if they say so.

The tree only bears fruit once a year. and the berber people (natives of morocco) have first dibs to their product. then france, and then maybe USA vendors.

trust me on this.

Last edited on 10/20/2010

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ.•:*¨¨*:•.

Hooty1287598721.35319004 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

I use this & I don't notice a smell at all!

mhk1287599355.152452 PostsRegistered 3/29/2006
On 10/20/2010 anastacia72001 said:

it resembles that of olive oil, w/ a stronger smell. i know my description doesn't make sense.

but ARGAN oil should have a smell a cross between olives, nuts, and oil..............

i've purchased mine in Morocco, so i can tell you that i am getting the real stuff because i watch them pressing the "nuts" at the refinerie d'huile(oil refinery).

if you, or anyone else is getting argan w/ out a scent, then I WOULD QUESTION the product you are getting.

the smell in this refinery was so strong the workers wear masks. to me it smells like what it edible one tasted like.(you get to dip bread in it before you buy)

i just went and smelled my bottles(yea i have 3 opened because dh uses it from head to toe) and they all have a strong OIL smell.

edited to add:

Sunflower oil is very popular in morocco(the plant grows wild) and many "street vendors" who sell to tourists will sell sunflower oil w/ maybe a drop or two of argan.

its always a gamble to know if you are getting the real stuff, unless you are pressing the nuts ur self. (some tourists prefer to do this, when argan is in season).

thats another thing argan is in so much demand these day i TRULY DOUBT, that all vendors are using 100% even if they say so.

The tree only bears fruit once a year. and the berber people (natives of morocco) have first dibs to their product. then france, and then maybe USA vendors.

trust me on this.

Thanks for that info, Anastacia! I was wondering which vendors (ideally Fair Trade) had argan oil with no scent--which ideally, I'd prefer. But you make an interesting point, that it SHOULD have and oil/nut scent!

Do you recommend a brand, that you believe to be the real deal and fair trade? I do searches on the board about this off and on, but it's still hard to figure it out!

Thanks!

anastacia7­20011287600556.8671378 PostsRegistered 12/22/2008
On 10/20/2010 mhk said:

edited to add:

trust me on this.

Thanks for that info, Anastacia! I was wondering which vendors (ideally Fair Trade) had argan oil with no scent--which ideally, I'd prefer. But you make an interesting point, that it SHOULD have and oil/nut scent!

Do you recommend a brand, that you believe to be the real deal and fair trade? I do searches on the board about this off and on, but it's still hard to figure it out!

Thanks!

this is what i told my husband. if we can't go back to morocco by next year and our supply runs out i would order from http://www.zamourispices.com/ (i have no connection at all)

and i have never ordered from them before, the only reason i would trust this company is because they carry the black soap( olive oil residue) and he/she can only get that from Morocco. he/she does sell it kind of expensive because black soap in morocco would be like $3.00 for 2lbs. his coasts much more, but i understand he/she is running a business.

shhhh, don't tell my DH, but i do like the argan for hair from Sallys beauty supply. he would frown on me using this stuff full of silicones, but hey i love it.

and I personally CAN NOT use ARGAN OIL on my face( but i do eat the edible kind. it has a strong smell and strong taste.......kind of bitter) it breaks me out. so i just buy the VITAMIN E that costs i think it was $2.99 at big lots. this doesnt break me out.

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ.•:*¨¨*:•.

lyn in MI1287600903.76324540 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 10/20/2010 KatheeGee said:

After watching the on air presentation of the Josie Maran Argan Oil I really wanted to try it-so i went over to ebay and bought a small bottle there to try it out. This oil smells identical to Olive Oil...for those of you who have used this before, is this what it smells like? It doesn't bother me but i want to make sure i am getting Argan Oil, and not Olive Oil. Thanks!

I have 3 different bottles of JM's Argan Oil (one full size, and 2 small bottles that came in kits). None of them look or smell like Olive Oil. My JM AO is clear in color, and has a very, very slight "nutty" smell.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

Zaksgrrl1287601407.1839844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark
On 10/20/2010 mhk said:

edited to add:

trust me on this.

Thanks!

this is what i told my husband. if we can't go back to morocco by next year and our supply runs out i would order from http://www.zamourispices.com/ (i have no connection at all)

and i have never ordered from them before, the only reason i would trust this company is because they carry the black soap( olive oil residue) and he/she can only get that from Morocco. he/she does sell it kind of expensive because black soap in morocco would be like $3.00 for 2lbs. his coasts much more, but i understand he/she is running a business.

shhhh, don't tell my DH, but i do like the argan for hair from Sallys beauty supply. he would frown on me using this stuff full of silicones, but hey i love it.

and I personally CAN NOT use ARGAN OIL on my face( but i do eat the edible kind. it has a strong smell and strong taste.......kind of bitter) it breaks me out. so i just buy the VITAMIN E that costs i think it was $2.99 at big lots. this doesnt break me out.

I have ordered several times from Zamouri Spice and have been very pleased with every product.

The JM AO is deodorized - Americans are funny about smells. They want all natural products, but heaven forbid it looks or smells like the actual plant, herb, oil, flower, etc.!!!! Josie knows her audience!

That said, AO doesn't smell exactly like OO, but it is similar, esp. if you haven't experienced many different natural oils. Could it be all or part OO - sure. It won't hurt you, but it's not the real deal. It depends on how much you trust the vendor. I recently bought from a vendor in whom I've lost faith, and I don't doubt that their products were mixed with other, less expensive, oils to increase profit margin.

I have bought AO from other vendors and the smell ranges from barely perceptible to slight.

HTH

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Bella HS1287602151.788076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

I don't have the best sniffer but my Argon Oil doesn't seem to have a smell to me although I've found after using it for a few weeks my skin doesn't like it. I developed some white medium size bumps on the side of the chin which has never happened to me before. I do better with jojoba which doesn't clog at all.

Suzzeee1287602942.2872393 PostsRegistered 6/15/2007West Coast

I use the MorroccanOil brand (yes I know it has silicones in it - it helps w/ my minor frizz) and love how it smells - reminds me of the beach!

RedRedHair1287604521.037273 PostsRegistered 10/10/2010San Joaquin Valley

I use Josie Maran's Organic Argan Oil. It's noted on the box the bottle comes in that "Due to the fact that our Argan Oil is 100% Organic the scent of each batch is contingent on the harvest and can vary."

Sunniegirl1287605386.781060 PostsRegistered 8/21/2008So. Calfornia

I have bought the oil from Whole Foods in CA and I detect a slight odor. To me it is sort of like a burnt coffee smell - but it goes away very fast. I like how my skin feels since I started using the oil. I use the Dr. D tinted moisturizer and I add a drop and I mix it in and it actually goes in smoother. I put it all over and if there is any left before I go to bed at night, I rub it in my nails, and I also put any extra on my eye lids. So far, so good....... 2 oz size $15.99 - states on the bottle, 100% pure Argan oil. JMHO Smile

Page 1 of 1