Handbag Clearance
94 Members and 13296 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Why do you need to use so many pumps of Wen?

Started 1284237600.59 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1284511957.77 by ElvisShops

I have thin shoulder lenght hair with no body at all. I have to wash my hair everyday otherwise my hair would be very limp. I have tried to use Wen but it seems that I would still need to shampoo everyday, and to use so much product it just leaves my hair greasy.

Page 1 of 1
Yuko1284238265.321805 PostsRegistered 8/30/2005

There are lots on WEN users/lovers with your hair type and they are very happy with WEN.

To answer your question, I don't know what else to say other than "you just do".

I don't use nearly as much as what Chaz suggests but I do have to use probably from 30-35 pumps if I am using 16oz (but I have the gallon so I only use 1- 1 1/2) because I have super long and thick hair and the result has been unbelievable.

After you clenase your hair with WEN, do you rinse and rinse and rinse?

This process is so important.

quena1284238612.273187 PostsRegistered 11/5/2009

Yes, I rinse, rinse and rinse some more. I have also tried to split the pumps (wash, rinse and wash again). Maybe I will try to use less product next time. I just wish I didnt have to cleanse my haie everyday.

itsMe1284240253.2533331 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida

quena, I have thin, fine hair that's between chin and shoulder length. I use about two pumps of the 32 oz bottle, split between the two cleanses. My sister, who has thin, fine, chin length hair, uses about the same amount. It just depends on your hair. Use enough to coat your hair and work it in. Start with little, and work up if you need more to get the results you're looking for. With fine hair, you probably use much less than recommended. You'll figure it iout by experimenting a bit.

VeryHighIQ1284240432.11513 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

so you use more up, so you buy more, so he can get more renovations by jeff lewis

streetangel1284252071.1576348 PostsRegistered 12/19/2007Near Harrisburg, PA

Massage your scalp while you're rinsing. I can't tell you how much of a difference that made when I was first 'getting the hang' of WEN. It works WONDERS. Massage while rinsing the very same way you massage while cleansing. I swear, it works.

Mary

~~Cats are God's furry angels on earth, without wings~~
~~I bleed Black and Gold for the Pittsburgh Steelers!~~
~~Praying for my 18-year old granddaughter who just entered Army Basic Training at Ft. Jackson, SC, on 3/25/14.

Subject1284252128.2711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

$$$$$$$ That's why.

Harpa1284256348.756896 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I really do not need all those pumps of WEN product! I have straight, normal, shoulder-length hair, and I wash every day. Most of my WEN days are for quickie hair washes. I saturate my hair w/ water, start out w/ one pump of the 32 oz. size and smooth that into my palms and then smooth all over my hair, concentrating on my ends. Sometimes I go for more, sometimes not. I do not need or use any product as a leave-in. I don't let the product sit in my hair; once it's in there, I rinse out thoroughly. My hair always turns out great! It didn't start out that way, due to several factors. One of those is that my hair seems to respond best to CA, so that's the one I use. I do not have oily hair or any scalp issues.

Once in awhile I'll use more product and spend more time in washing. Other days I use different sudsless shampoos to concentrate on my scalp. I keep wondering when I might go back to regular shampoos & conditioners. But I just wasn't having consistent good results with most of the ones I tried. The systems I'm using now just really works for me.

You can always experiment w/ different amounts of product, and if your hair feels too greasy, you can experiment with the different WEN formulas. If there is any trick at all to using the product it's in using a LOT of water!! And like streetangel, the massaging while rinsing.

dlw1284299832.21713 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006Skokie, IL

I have thinner below shoulder length hair. Love this product BUT it leaves the crown greasy looking. I use about six pumps..I know it says 40 pumps..that just seems like too much but I am going to try it today. Am I really using too little to make it look greasy in just one area when the rest of my hair looks great?

Ladies, I would appreciate your advice. I always read what everyone says and enjoy the forums!

Bella HS1284310897.3338076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

This product works terribly on my fine long hair. The crown of my head is greasy by the next day. I've used it for many years because of the detangling benefits but never liked the way my hair looked the next day. I got so tired of washing my hair it is now shaving cream and body cleanser until I can get rid of these gallons.

tsavorite1284314498.244726 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

I don't think you really need that many pumps....I am a total newbie to WEN....I just recieved the TSV in CA and really like it so far. The 1st time I washed....I used to much....6pumps is just way to much for me....and I did the wash rinse and repeat....my hair came out fine though...and I figured since it was my 1st attempt I should use abit more to be sure my hair was super clean.

That was Sat...today I decided to do what others here have posted....rinse my hair in the shower then use 1 pump....I massaged it in, combed it thru then clipped it up.....finished showering....then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed well....I make sure I can not feel any product left in my hair. I did this as a pick up to freshen my hair some as I have company coming over today and wanted freshly washed hair....my hair this morning was not oily or greasy or dirty looking.

Also while my hair was soaking wet in the shower I put a tiny pea amount of the CA in my hands and only applied it to the ends of my hair....I was very nervous about doing this! then gently ran my fingers thru my hair....rang out my hair some...and put on my turbie twist.....my hair came out fluffy....and nice....none of that greasy crown stuff some mention.

I have fine hair that is naturally curly....one thing I have realized using WEN the last 2 days is that I have FINE hair....and if I didn't have curly hair also it would be so thin looking....those all shampoos for volume made me think my hair was abit thicker but it's not...I have to get used to the way my hair feels so thin while washing with WEN...it is almost scary to me....I never realized just how much my curly hair makes my hair look so much thicker....that's nothing to do with WEN of course just my thoughts!

What I like about WEN is that I can wash daily and not remove my haircolor.....I had been trying to skip a day using other shampoos and I really don't like that...this way I can use 2-3 pumps max to cleanse with WEN on the days I spend more time cleansing....and 1 pump inbetween....I can't imagine using 20pumps or 40pumps....with thin hair you simply don't need it....I say LESS WEN is more...so far for me that's been the case.

The CA turned out to be the best choice for me....I had tried the Fig and SAM before and both made my hair greasy feeling....and dirty by mid afternoon....I am so glad I tried one last time and got the CA.....next I must try the Tea Tree!

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil -- it has no point."

mostwanted1284315905.431245 PostsRegistered 8/28/2006

For the ladies who keep spewing $$$$ signs is the reason for so many pumps...I suspect Chaz tells you the ultimate number of pumps you should use and like many women have suggested, you have to experiment and find out what works for you...not all thin, or thick hair is exactly the same. Also many of us have gotten used to how our hair feels when using soapy shampoos, and anything else feels "greasy"...but give it a go for a while. Women with thin hair are particularly sensitive about greasy hair ....I just used Wen for the first time on my 9 year old granddaughter...I think it is very important to use the cool water and not warm or hot water to rinse. She has a great hair of hair slightly curly, but using the regular shampoo and conditioners left her hair tangled. We used Wen the other night...wet her hair in cool water, put the wen in and worked it through on her scalp and throughout her hair. I put her high up in a ponytail while she finished her bath and then we rinsed her hair thoroughly and I put one pump of the shampoo//c in her hair and combed it through...and we let her hair dry naturally. She was all smiles...telling me Nana it feels so soft. I must say her hair had plenty of body the next day and no tangles. I think not using hot water in any of this process is key. and putting some through your hair and combing it through provides the body.

gardensla1284316137.41717966 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA

I agree--it's trial and error.

I'm new to WEN too. First time I did the 40 pumps, rinse, do again. Second time I cut back to 30 pumps, no second application. Third time (yesterday) I cut back to 10 pumps which seems to be working fine so far.

"Every important mistake I've made in my life, I've made because I was too tired." Bill Clinton

lyn in MI1284316893.08724050 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 9/12/2010 mostwanted said:

For the ladies who keep spewing $$$$ signs is the reason for so many pumps...I suspect Chaz tells you the ultimate number of pumps you should use and like many women have suggested, you have to experiment and find out what works for you...not all thin, or thick hair is exactly the same. Also many of us have gotten used to how our hair feels when using soapy shampoos, and anything else feels "greasy"...but give it a go for a while. Women with thin hair are particularly sensitive about greasy hair ....I just used Wen for the first time on my 9 year old granddaughter...I think it is very important to use the cool water and not warm or hot water to rinse. She has a great hair of hair slightly curly, but using the regular shampoo and conditioners left her hair tangled. We used Wen the other night...wet her hair in cool water, put the wen in and worked it through on her scalp and throughout her hair. I put her high up in a ponytail while she finished her bath and then we rinsed her hair thoroughly and I put one pump of the shampoo//c in her hair and combed it through...and we let her hair dry naturally. She was all smiles...telling me Nana it feels so soft. I must say her hair had plenty of body the next day and no tangles. I think not using hot water in any of this process is key. and putting some through your hair and combing it through provides the body.

Awwww, great story, Nana!

I changed my WEN routine last weekend. I've never been able to exclusively use WEN. Last Saturday, I watched the instructional videos on youtube for fine to normal hair, and I decided to follow all of the recommendations, which includes using cool water for the entire process. I used to do a final rinse in cold water. The video explains why cool water is recommended. We also installed a Sprite showerhead last Saturday to eliminate the iron oxide in our well water that our whole house filter and water softener haven't been able to totally eliminate. I can't believe the difference these changes have made in my WEN result, and I've used exclusively WEN since last Saturday. btw, the instructional videos advise us to use the amount of WEN for our hair type and length, and we will need to experiment to figure that out. I don't need the amount used for demo purposes on the video. I cleanse, rinse and repeat.

Last edited on 9/12/2010

Last edited on 9/12/2010

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

Harpa1284316910.2376896 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007
On 9/12/2010 mostwanted said:

I just read again in the notorious pamphlet that the reason to use cool water is to preserve hair color. Supposedly warm or hot water opens up the hair cuticle, "allowing the color to be rinsed out." Chaz says, "the cooler the better."

ElvisShops1284318851.8234427 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007

I have tried Wen and Hair One, which you can get at Sally's. I think I like the Hair One better. However, I will mostly use my regular shampoo and conditioner. I just don't have a half-hour to devote to showering and hair washing every day. That X minutes here and X more minutes there for the hair shaft, etc., and all that rinsing business is just too time consuming, not to mention all the water that is being wasted. OMG. Even if you turn the water off while you are waiting for time to elapse, it's still A LOT of water.

If I could get away with washing my hair only twice a week, I think it would be great. I did like the Hair One results, and I like the idea of color preservation. I wish I could use Wen because I love Chaz, but Wen just doesn't love me back. :(

Last edited on 9/12/2010

Last edited on 9/12/2010

“When I feed the hungry, they call me a saint. When I ask why people are hungry, they call me a Communist.”
― Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Brazilian archbishop

streetangel1284319327.7036348 PostsRegistered 12/19/2007Near Harrisburg, PA

I NEVER use the 'recommended' number of pumps on my waist-length hair and never have a problem. After awhile, you just get to know the 'feel' of what you need in your hair and on your scalp. Also, diluting with water as you cleanse is KEY to getting the product to disperse properly and be massaged in uniformly. Trial and error for a bit, yes, but ohhhhh so worth it when it finally 'clicks' and you get the results you were after!

Mary

~~Cats are God's furry angels on earth, without wings~~
~~I bleed Black and Gold for the Pittsburgh Steelers!~~
~~Praying for my 18-year old granddaughter who just entered Army Basic Training at Ft. Jackson, SC, on 3/25/14.

lovemygigi1284319869.2435026 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

It takes me no longer to wash my hair with WEN than other products. Shampooing, sometimes twice, then letting conditioner sit and rinsing that , too.....It's all the same to me!

I agree that we are all different and trial and error are part of the game. Again, the results are worth it to me.

The Queen of Spain loved doing the calypso from what I hear.

ellietoo1284321422.832255 PostsRegistered 6/19/2005

I am not a WEN user but found this thread interesting. Someone mentioned massaging the scalp. I just want to say that your scalp has a lot to do with how healthy your hair is. Using a good shampoo that is at least PH balanced is vital and massaging the scalp loosens oils and skin cells not to mention product that has accumulated. You can give yourself a scalp message at anytime but doing it while you scalp is wet and lubed up makes it more effective. I can see how WEN could be very healthy for the scalp which of course is going to benefit your hair overall.

dlw1284322575.4113 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006Skokie, IL
On 9/12/2010 dlw said:

I have thinner below shoulder length hair. Love this product BUT it leaves the crown greasy looking. I use about six pumps..I know it says 40 pumps..that just seems like too much but I am going to try it today. Am I really using too little to make it look greasy in just one area when the rest of my hair looks great?

Ladies, I would appreciate your advice. I always read what everyone says and enjoy the forums!

OK..I just used about 37 pumps..and it did turn out so much better. I used as much cool water as possible and no greasy crown area! Oh my..I guess I will need to use alot! I'm not sure if it was the cool water, massaging this in well, or the close to 40 pumps! We shall see! Love the way it turned out today!

itsMe1284424467.8973331 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida
On 9/12/2010 tsavorite said:

I have fine hair that is naturally curly....one thing I have realized using WEN the last 2 days is that I have FINE hair....and if I didn't have curly hair also it would be so thin looking....those all shampoos for volume made me think my hair was abit thicker but it's not...I have to get used to the way my hair feels so thin while washing with WEN...it is almost scary to me....I never realized just how much my curly hair makes my hair look so much thicker....that's nothing to do with WEN of course just my thoughts!

tsavorite, I have fine, thin, curly hair. If you're looking for a thicker feel, try using some Living Proof Full Thickening cream after Wenning. It reallly helps!

mosaicat21284426368.767104 PostsRegistered 1/20/2007

I have fine greasy hair I could not go a day with out washing. After using wen for about a year I now find I can go a day without washing my hair. I do not leave in a pump as that is too much for my hair it actually makes it greasier. I aslo find that the styling cream does that too. Since I don't wash my hair everyday it does seem to need more product to get it clean. Not sure why. I guess it all equals out.

Karena1284485290.2775199 PostsRegistered 6/30/2008Bay Area, California

Hi Quena - If your hair is left greasy, there may be something that you are not doing correctly. My guess is that you are not rinsing enough before and after putting WEN in your hair. I would suggest that you watch the instructional videos. I have extremely fine, thin hair and WEN has never left my hair greasy. I hope you keep experimenting with your technique. There is a learning curve, but I feel the results are well worth it! Good luck to you.

Last edited on 9/14/2010

Last edited on 9/14/2010

ElvisShops1284511957.744427 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007

Hair washing just shouldn't require a manual.

“When I feed the hungry, they call me a saint. When I ask why people are hungry, they call me a Communist.”
― Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Brazilian archbishop

Page 1 of 1