Fall Fashion Days
138 Members and 9145 Guests Online

Among Friends

Pros / Cons Moving to North Carolina?

Started 1274709015.703 in Among Friends | Last reply 1288144212.823 by CAROLINA2

Hey Everyone!

I noticed someone asking about Arizona so I thought it would be a good chance to ask if anyone has experience with North Carolina? Hubby and I have heard it is a nice place to live but we're curious about the different areas (ie: Asheville/Mountains - Wilmington/Ocean). I'd love to hear any and all comments from those who know the state (good and bad info is welcome!). Thanks~!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
orange1274709999.923022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

No NC ladies out there? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

CheriChaz1274713522.22350 PostsRegistered 1/1/2010

I was born in N.C. and lived here most of my life.  I live in Concord which is home of the new Nascar Museum if anyone is a racecar fan and Charlotte Motor Speedway where the Coca-Cola 500 will be this week-end.  Charlotte has golf tournaments played at the Quail Hollow Country Club and we have The Panthers Football Team.  We have The Charlotte Bobcats basketball team owned by Michael Jordan.  Many people are relocating into our area. The beaches and mountains are beautiful also.  

orange1274713579.4473022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

Hi CheriChaz - how are the home prices right now? Also can you get a home on a fairly good sized lot? Thanks!

Marp1274718773.88313480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

Orange,

I am in western NC, about 70 miles west of Asheville.  It is like an entirely different place than coastal NC.  Our winters are relatively mild (last winter does not count) and we have few extremes.

There is a huge range in home prices and most are on good sized lots even in developments.  As to how reasonable it would depend on where you are comparing with but from my point of view you can get a lot for relatively little compared to most places.  Property taxes are reasonable.  However, NC does have a state income tax and most items are subject to sales tax.  Electric rates are low.  Don't know about water/sewer as we have a well, as do the majority of homes in this area as it is rural to semi-rural.  I am on the outskirts of a small town and the job market is tight even in good times so that may be a consideration unless you are self-employed or work from home.

From my location it is about 45 minutes to Asheville and a little under two hours to Atlanta. 

I don't know what other basic information you are looking for but if you go to city-data.com you can find a great deal of information about all areas of NC.  It helps if you have a specific city to search, like Asheville or Wilmington and go from there.

For me, the earth will end before I'll leave western NC because I have found my paradise.

If you have any specific questions about my area I will answer if I can.

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

suzieQ4me1274720753.2634415 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Orange, you are probably younger than me, but I have found that as I age, I prefer the mountains over the beach.  There was a time in the past that was not true.  I don't like the heat anymore, so I would choose the mountains.  I have lived in Charlotte and Raleigh, neither of which is in the mountains or at the coast.  Go figure!  But yes, I think the North Carolina mountains, around Asheville, are fabulous.  You will LOVE.

orange1274726864.773022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

WOW thanks ladies! I am a transplant from Boston and am now in Chicago so I grew up with the ocean and the mountains (in NH!). Chicago is 'ok' but not really for us. We don't really see ourselves staying here for good and would love to find a place that just feels like 'home'.

That being said, home prices here are probably $350k - $400k for a decent two level home that is pretty new (4 yrs. or less). Our real estate taxes are fairly high and the sales tax gets bigger every year! We'd probably be thrilled if we could find a newer home on a private lot that is about an acre (we are now in a subdivision and everyone sees you each time you are outside - luckily we like our neighbors but have NO privacy).

I'd like a place that has a more mild winter yet still has a change in season (the reason why AZ, CA, FL etc. are not for us). I'd like a safe place to live where people are nice to each other and courtesy is not a lost art. A place with nice bike paths, outdoor space but lots of conveniences like stores & restaurants would be ideal.

I am a bit tired of the rat race and everyone being so rush rush rush. I do enjoy downtown Chicago (a beautiful city) so I'd like access to a city when I am feeling the need. We enjoy plays, concerts, museums and fine dining on occasion so it's essential we have some access to that type of entertainment.

Schools are not really an issue for us (no kids) but access to a major airport and hospitals are important.

THANK YOU so much!

Last edited on 5/24/2010

Last edited on 5/24/2010

Shelbelle1274730336.13733995 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Asheville is beautiful, many people now retiring to that area.

Muttlvr1274730886.0772631 PostsRegistered 9/18/2005

I relocated to Charlotte from New Orleans after (and due to) Hurricane Katrina.  I miss New Orleans, it will always be home, but, the things I like best about NC are the moderate climate, no bugs (wellllll, at least not compared to Louisiana), very little litter (see previous comment), less crime than N.O. (which isn't saying too much, almost anywhere has less crime than New Orleans), and nice people.  Charlotte is considered the Piedmont (I guess) which is not flat lands, but not mountains and certainly not shore.  All that being said, NC has everything you could want along with good roads, city services, etc. 

PS  Ashville is consistently ranked one of the nicest places to live in the US.  A couple of years it's been #1.  I've never met anyone who didn't like it. 

Rap21274731049.99713235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill -Cary (Research Triangle) always makes the best places lists.  One of the last places to be hit by the recession.  Two hours from the beach and five hours from the mountains.  We have a Nordstrom's, Saks Fifth Avenue, four Whole Foods (a fifth being built) and two Trader Joe's in addition to the regular chain stores and restaurants.  You can buy a McMansion for $300-350K.   Two world famous medical centers - Duke and UNC.   Many colleges and universities.  Major venues for entertainment.

We're in the south but I say it's where "biscuit meets bagel".   People have moved here from all over.   Highest concentration of PhDs and MDs in the country.

Sports - well, we have the Durham Bulls and Carolina Hurricanes (hockey).  Then there's the ACC basketball (Carolina, Duke, NC State and Wake Forest are our local teams).   Here March madness will put you in the ICU.   Carolina was the national champs last year and this year it's Duke.   If you need more info, let me know.  Born and raised here.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

orange1274731091.663022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

Wow these comments are all so helpful! Looking for more! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

orange1274731212.7833022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005
On 5/24/2010 Rapunzel2 said:

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill -Cary (Research Triangle) always makes the best places lists.  One of the last places to be hit by the recession.  Two hours from the beach and five hours from the mountains.  We have a Nordstrom's, Saks Fifth Avenue, four Whole Foods (a fifth being built) and two Trader Joe's in addition to the regular chain stores and restaurants.  You can buy a McMansion for $300-350K.   Two world famous medical centers - Duke and UNC.   Many colleges and universities.  Major venues for entertainment.

We're in the south but I say it's where "biscuit meets bagel".   People have moved here from all over.   Highest concentration of PhDs and MDs in the country.

Sports - well, we have the Durham Bulls and Carolina Hurricanes (hockey).  Then there's the ACC basketball (Carolina, Duke, NC State and Wake Forest are our local teams).   Here March madness will put you in the ICU.   Carolina was the national champs last year and this year it's Duke.   If you need more info, let me know.  Born and raised here.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Rapunzel - this is awesome info! Are there areas to really AVOID moving to? Whenever I do a search for real estate they always want to know which area and I HAVE NO CLUE what to put in! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Rap21274731965.49313235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006
On 5/24/2010 orange said:

Rapunzel - this is awesome info! Are there areas to really AVOID moving to? Whenever I do a search for real estate they always want to know which area and I HAVE NO CLUE what to put in! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I don't know if there is a particular area to avoid.   Just which would you fit in better.

Cary is yuppie-ville.  White, grey and beige houses - yes they will get upset if you paint your house another color.  Cul-de-sacs.   Young well-educated high-tech families with children.

Durham is diverse - rich, poor, black, white, Hispanic with a rich history.   A mix of university professors and blue color workers.  Schools not the best but they're working on it.

Raleigh is the state capitol - rich in history and tradition.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro - Liberal values.  Great if you're into yoga, vegetarian cooking and activism.  The Orange County schools are the best if you have children.

I was describing the Triangle to someone from the California Bay area.  Think of Raleigh as a less glamourous San Francisco.  Durham as Oakland.  Cary as San Jose and Chapel Hill/Carrboro as Berkeley.  She knew what I meant by my description.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~k~1274733525.1532488 PostsRegistered 2/8/2007

I moved to the mts here in western NC about 5 years ago from the Savannah Ga area where I had lived for over 30 years - - - I love, love, love it! - - I love the diversity of cultures, the climate, the smells, the food, the people - - I've never looked back.  My brother is in the Charlotte area   & it has it's plus & minus parts - -

I have found my home!

~You may have the right - but that doesn't make it right~

lulaB1274733821.94340 PostsRegistered 2/27/2010

Hi Orange,  I've lived in NC all my life.

I am in central NC also known as the Piedmont.

I hope you would find people friendly and welcoming here. 

Living in central NC I am close to both the coast and the mountains.

Life is a bit less hectic outside of Charlotte and Raleigh although both are lovely places.

Research us a bit....it is lovely here.

Baylie1274733836.2671018 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004North Carolina

My husband and I both grew up in N.J. and went to college in Pennsylvania. We moved to North Carolina in 1973 and would never leave! We have lived in a small town in the western part of the state, Chapel Hill and now we are in Eastern NC. The weather is great, the people are friendly and we just think it's a great place to live.

orange1274733965.0673022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

Well one this is for sure.. you NC gals are the NICEST folks to give this Yankee such a warm response! (Is it ok if I am a Yankee to live there? LOL!)

orange1274734014.6373022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

Woops - I see Baylie is a Northerner (former) too! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

cat231274734769.163387 PostsRegistered 7/22/2005

I am a transplanted northerner and I love it here in NC!  I've been here about 12 years.  I'm in the piedmont area which is great.  Easy drive to mountains or beach.  Mild climate in winter, but we do tend to get ice not so much snow.  Summer can get hot and humid, but everything seems to be air conditioned.  I also love the Raleigh/Durham area.  That might be a good place to look if you want to be near lots to do including parks and shopping.  Asheville is beautiful, but I've heard it is more expensive than other areas.  I guess there are more expensive areas in any city. 

Good luck in your search!

Merle Byrd1274736402.924655 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009

Pro...A beautiful state.

Pro...Hopefully, you will be near The Outer Banks, where you may want to vacation.

Pro...The pulled pork barbecue.

A con does not come to mind...Smile

Ooh!...

Wilmington is "The Little Hollywood".  Many films are shot there.  And it is a beautiful city.

Ashevilleis a very desirable location (for me),  home to a lot of artists.

(I think I dbl posted...sorry)

Last edited on 5/24/2010

Last edited on 5/24/2010

Merle

Rap21274736919.3613235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

Well one this is for sure.. you NC gals are the NICEST folks to give this Yankee such a warm response! (Is it ok if I am a Yankee to live there? LOL!)

Then you might want to move to Cary.   The local joke is that CARY stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees".   It's a friendly tease and the "Yankees" are the ones who laugh the most.

Marp1274737650.9113480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

Y'All move here and you won't be a Yankee for long!

Far western NC isn't all peaches and cream when you first move here and are spoiled by the conveniences of city access to things but it doesn't take long to realize that a little drive is a small sacrifice to make for everything else you get here from the people, outdoors, fresh air, a night sky that has more stars than you knew existed, I could go on and on and on but I think you get the idea from the number of us that would not leave.

orange1274737870.1373022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

Then you might want to move to Cary.   The local joke is that CARY stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees".   It's a friendly tease and the "Yankees" are the ones who laugh the most.

OK this made me LAUGH OUT LOUD! Thanks for the giggle Rapunzel! It's funny but I saw a home show on Cary and thought it looked really nice!

Marp - your posts REALLY make me want to move there YESTERDAY! You make it sound so lovely!

Marp1274740585.413480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

OK this made me LAUGH OUT LOUD! Thanks for the giggle Rapunzel! It's funny but I saw a home show on Cary and thought it looked really nice!

Marp - your posts REALLY make me want to move there YESTERDAY! You make it sound so lovely!

Have any vacation time coming up?  Take a tour, I can almost promise you too will fall in love with NC (especially far western NC but I am extremely prejudice).  I think Asheville might be ideal for you as it is a blend of North Carolina's various personalities.

orange1274740691.9133022 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

Marp - Hubby and I are going to do a couple of trips there at some point! Asheville looks lovely and I want to visit the Biltmore there! Looks fabulous! Is there an International airport nearby? Thanks!

rudy1274740773.5332145 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005

Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Hillsborough or Durham.  All good choices. 

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next