TSV(R) Preview
12 Members and 9101 Guests Online

Among Friends

Confession Time... I don't know how to swim.

Started 1335823067.213 in Among Friends | Last reply 1336445046.84 by GoodStuff

I don't know how to swim and I'm 63. Anyone else out there a nonswimmer? But I have signed up for lessons and I'm already getting nervous. But my grandchildren come and swim in the condo pool and I want to do this... I need some encouraging words.

Miracles Happen!

Page 1 of 2
Hooty1335823186.1319081 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

I don't know how to swim either, but at my age 62 (almost 63) I am not going to try now! I haven't been in a swimsuit in over 20 years, don't plan to be anytime soon either!

arklady1335824539.8772392 PostsRegistered 1/31/2011

I never learn to swim and I blame my Mom. She was deathly afraid of water and made my sister and I too. We were not allowed near a pool or lake growing up.

When my kids were small they all had lessons and are pool and lake lovers.

Smile

YES, I'm from the south
YES, I wear shoes

maureen51335826225.521037 PostsRegistered 11/17/2006
On 4/30/2012 arklady said:

I never learn to swim and I blame my Mom. She was deathly afraid of water and made my sister and I too. We were not allowed near a pool or lake growing up.

Smile

My mom (who was a wonderful woman and a great mom) did the same thing...My brother and I did actually start swimming lessons...As my mom was leaving the pool, I remember her calling over the fence. "Don't drown!"

Miracles Happen!

arklady1335826904.342392 PostsRegistered 1/31/2011
On 4/30/2012 maureen5 said:
On 4/30/2012 arklady said:

Smile

My mom (who was a wonderful woman and a great mom) did the same thing...My brother and I did actually start swimming lessons...As my mom was leaving the pool, I remember her calling over the fence. "Don't drown!"

LOL, don't drown, its funny now.

Not long after we married, DH tried to teach me, but no luck. But I did finally get in a boat for a ride! That was a big deal,lol!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

YES, I'm from the south
YES, I wear shoes

ShowMe1335829378.88344195 PostsRegistered 9/6/2010Missouri

OMGosh, you ladies sound so young. I'll be 72 the end of May, and I don't know how to swim either. I do know how to float on my stomach, but not on my back.

Formerly Fluffy329........

Proud to be from the St. Louis area and LOVE THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!
Go Cardinals

Happy Shopping and Don't Spend All Your Money in One Place!!!!!

happy hous­ewife1335829756.62332032 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

Wow, when I was about 5 my Dad and Uncle took us out in the river in Pittsburgh in a rowboat and my Dad got in the water and my uncle sorta threw us in and we swam. That is how they had learned to swim as well. The thing is those Pittsburgh rivers are pretty grimy so not a good place to swim but my dad and his brothers had grown up swimming there and they didn't think anything of it. Honestly, my brother and SIL taught their kids to swim the same way, except by then the rivers were much cleaner. My brother says the secret is to teach them to swim before they get old enough to be scared. He has 12 kids - they all swim well - one of them is a Coast Guard rescue swimmer so I guess it works.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

VanSleepy1335829909.272885 PostsRegistered 10/5/2010

How funny - we were just yesterday talking about having to take swimming as a part of our H.S. gym class. I said I really didn't swim that well (never took lessons), but I took the "lifesaving" test in H.S. and passed LOL

WoW1335833106.411526 PostsRegistered 12/27/2011

I'm not a swimmer, either. Can't stand the feel of water in my ears or nose. I admire you, tho!!! The things we do for our kids/grands! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

JESSA1335872156.922368 PostsRegistered 12/18/2010

I am 64 and I can't swim either...I am deathly afraid of water. My mom had six of us and the same thing with her...she would not let any of us near water.

I made sure my 2 children learned how to swim.

chrystaltr­ee1335894041.79312643 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

I'm 52, I don't know how to swim and I have spent my entire life in a coastal city. I love the ocean, I love beaches, I love boats. I just don't swim. If you want to learn to swim, do it. If you really want to swim with the grands but you feel that you have a block or phobia, see a psychologist. I have nephew who wanted desparately to be a police officer but he couldn't swim and freaked out when he tried to learn. Applicants had to be able to swim. He had few sessions with a pychologist, learned some coping skills and then he took lessons at the Y and learned to swim. I have no desire to swim now but you never know what the future will bring.

Last edited on 5/1/2012

Last edited on 5/1/2012

57babe1335896504.318638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

You can still learn how to swim.

In fact, now that you're older you will have less fear to overcome as you would if you were a child.

Learning to swim will give you peace of mind knowing that you won't drown and swimming is also a fantastic exercise that doesn't add stress to the body.

ROMARY1335924431.21716994 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

I wear a life jacket on docks whenever visiting people who live on lakes. Just in case....

Yellow Rose

hckynut1335931087.6319665 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

I don't know how to swim so I never go into the water. I also am not able to fly, so I use on the ground modes of transporation.

You say this like it is some kind of a disease.

hckynut(john)

Divine1335934442.2333587 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008

I never learned how to swim because my mom said I shouldn't go near the water until I learned how to swim. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

It doesn't bother me, though. If I go boating I wear a lifevest; and I do water exercises in the shallow end of the pool. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I'm another one who doesn't like water in my ears or eyes.

Marienkaef­er1335937989.1675715 PostsRegistered 12/15/2008Beautiful San Juan Islands

I used to spend summers with my grandparents, and they lived near a lake.

I remember when I was about five or six, my grandmother taking me down to the beach around 9 a.m. to begin swim lessons.

She would drop me off and then come pick me up in an hour when the lesson was over.

I hated it, because it was cold and I was very shy and didn't know the other kids.

But she persisted, and I'm glad that she did. I am a true Pisces, and I don't what I would do if I couldn't swim! Smile

I think everyone should learn, at least to support themselves in the water or do the dog paddle.

You never know when it could mean saving your life or the life of someone you love.

The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice.--MLK

bigsister1335952068.8775723 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Southern California

Years ago, as a young adult, I took group lessons and I did learn. I wondered why I had not taken lessons sooner. It was a wonderful experience.

SUHSE391335981049.2571717 PostsRegistered 3/13/2012

I am also a Pisces and I Love the water sooo much! I'm a decent swimmer, not an expert, so, I know my limits, I'm not going to decide to swim across the lake {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I can also be happy just playing around in the water.

I also love boats and give me a chance to ride a wave runner and I AM THERE!

My Mom, one of the bravest, spunkiest ladies I ever expect to know, was a non-swimmer who was afraid of water; when she was growing up, her older Brothers thought it was funny to teach the younger kids to swim by just throwing them in. It terrified her and she wanted no part of swimming, though, interestingly, she loved boat rides. However, she made very sure she wasn't going to pass her fears on to her 3 kids. We took swimming lessons as soon as we were old enough.

The water is like anything else, some people love it, some can take it or leave it, some don't like it. I do think it's sad to have a fear of water.

I also cant imagine being afraid of flying. It can be a nuisance at times, but it's far and away the safest and certainly the fastest mode of travel.

The occasional stories that grab the headlines aside, the biggest problem you're likely to have to deal with on a flight, is boredom.

mom of 71336008206.6932083 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010

I'm not very good at swimming either. I took swimming lessons as a kid until.......I saw our neighbor's granddaughter drown in a public pool with 4 lifeguards on duty! THAT was enough for me! I still can see her lying there while having CPR done on her. Unfortunately, she didn't survive. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Gooday1336010383.68310401 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I can tread water and back stroke but I would be scared to death to be in open water.

Marienkaef­er1336015094.155715 PostsRegistered 12/15/2008Beautiful San Juan Islands
On 5/2/2012 SUHSE39 said:

I am also a Pisces and I Love the water sooo much! I'm a decent swimmer, not an expert, so, I know my limits, I'm not going to decide to swim across the lake {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I can also be happy just playing around in the water.

I also love boats and give me a chance to ride a wave runner and I AM THERE!

My Mom, one of the bravest, spunkiest ladies I ever expect to know, was a non-swimmer who was afraid of water; when she was growing up, her older Brothers thought it was funny to teach the younger kids to swim by just throwing them in. It terrified her and she wanted no part of swimming, though, interestingly, she loved boat rides. However, she made very sure she wasn't going to pass her fears on to her 3 kids. We took swimming lessons as soon as we were old enough.

The water is like anything else, some people love it, some can take it or leave it, some don't like it. I do think it's sad to have a fear of water.

I also cant imagine being afraid of flying. It can be a nuisance at times, but it's far and away the safest and certainly the fastest mode of travel.

The occasional stories that grab the headlines aside, the biggest problem you're likely to have to deal with on a flight, is boredom.

Hello fellow Piscean! Smile

Well, we all have our irrational fears, don't we. I guess the best we can hope is to continue to learn and grow and try to overcome them as best we can!

The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice.--MLK

FreddieP1336017564.3031395 PostsRegistered 4/17/2008

Swimming classes were mandatory in high school. I also had swimming lessons at the Y when I was a kid and grew up on Lake Erie so spent summers at the beach. Wanting to learn is half the battle and I'm sure your grandchildren will want to help you and soon you'll be swimming like a fish. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

arrianna1336023447.5535072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010

maureen, if they push you too much,smile and get right out of the pool. Swimming should be very relaxing, and you should be at waist depth for your lessons, not the deep end. They should start by having you walk around in the pool, and hang onto the side and kick your legs a little. If you get out of breath, stop, and take a break. The lessons should be pleasant, and you will build your confidence. Future lessons can work on the arm and leg motions, remember, most women naturally float, so use graceful motions to move in the water.If you can watch a video of people swimming,(filmed from above) it will help you see the motions.

arrianna1336024248.3935072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010

I think that the reason some people fear flying and swimming is because neither was natural to our ancestors, babies walk, but have to be taught to swim, and they don't fly. My opinion on flying is that it is amazing to get these planes in the air and get people from place to place in time for so many important events that they would miss otherwise.My opinion on swimming is that people need to bathe, and you might as well learn how to move around in the water, the pool is like a Roman Bath, lol.

hennypenny1336056900.376108 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I taught swimming for many years!

The secret is to relax and feel comfy in the water. The feeling you get when you go to bed exhausted and the bed feels so wonderful.

Being in the water is like returning to the womb. It is best if the water isn't too cold. If the water is a tad warmer it helps you relax. If you are relaxed you will NOT sink.

arriana is right about getting the feeling of the water by playing and walking in the shallow end. Then you will hold the side of the pool and kick a bit. Each time you are in the water you will feel more comfortable.

I am so glad that you have signed up for lessons. You will be suprised how happy you will be that you did. You won't be asked to do anything that scares you. If you have any disabilites let your teacher know.

Come back and let me know how your first lesson went.

You will feel limber and relaxed and wonderful after your lessons. ENJOY!

halfpint1336058564.6864435 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Almost 75 here and don't know how to swim. I never went to camp. Lake Superior is much too cold where I grew up. I was just a scaredy cat about everything. I had my son take swimming lessons the first chance he could at a parks pool when about 7. We lived in California and still do.

Page 1 of 2