Guaranteed Delivery
33 Members and 17358 Guests Online

Among Friends

I have developed a sudden aversion to eating meat..........

Started 1302740042.21 in Among Friends | Last reply 1302875130.957 by chrystaltree

I have always eaten beef and pork but lately I just can hardly bring myself to eat it. I don't know what it is. I've always thought that considering my love for all animals I should be a vegetarian but never thought I would actually become a herbivore. {#emotions_dlg.blink} This might be interesting because the DH thinks he has to have beef or pork at every meal. He will eat fish occasionally but it's not his favorite. And he won't eat chicken. I just made salisbury steak for dinner and left most of it on my plate because it just was not appetizing to me. The smell of it cooking almost made me ill. Has anyone else ever experienced a sudden dislike of some particular food that you've always eaten?

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

Page 1 of 1
Nellie B1302740233.6472692 PostsRegistered 4/11/2009

Yes I did have this same thing happen to me: I just sort of 'ran' with it, but I didn't have to cook different meals, I just pretended that we were on a new adventure.

It lasted for a little over six months, and one day I was dying for a cheeseburger....that was the end of it.

HTHSmile

stuyvesant1302741298.148316 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010

I've found my tastes changed as I got older, and I'm turning into a person who really prefers chicken, actually like most older women I know.

I still eat red meat and porkchops though. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Just not as often.

~~~

Divine1302741863.863645 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008
On 4/13/2011 Nellie B said:

Yes I did have this same thing happen to me: I just sort of 'ran' with it, but I didn't have to cook different meals, I just pretended that we were on a new adventure.

It lasted for a little over six months, and one day I was dying for a cheeseburger....that was the end of it.

HTHSmile

Nellie, you and I have that in common. I couldn't bear the thought of any meat for more than five years. Then one day, out of the blue, I had an unbelievable craving for a big, juicy cheeseburger. Go figure...that was that...I was back on the beef. {#emotions_dlg.huh}

cinebee1302745260.3776550 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

Well ladies I have done a little researching online and it appears this condition can be related to menopause or pregnancy. It's definitely not the latter for me but it could most definitely be the former. Now if only I could develop an aversion to sweets.............

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

cinebee1302745261.0236550 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

Well ladies I have done a little researching online and it appears this condition can be related to menopause or pregnancy. It's definitely not the latter for me but it could most definitely be the former. Now if only I could develop an aversion to sweets.............

-Alfred A. Montapert

stuyvesant1302747943.368316 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010
On 4/13/2011 cinebee said:

{#emotions_dlg.lol} SO true!

Maybe it has to do with iron deficiency? Before menopause I always got turned down for donating blood because my iron was borderline. Now it's no problem. Don't you need the red meat for iron?

I think our bodies just like sweets and that will never change. I think it has something to do with storing up fat cells against a famine or something. Our bodies store the fat like a harvest against lean times and sweets are an efficient way to do that. And you just can't convince your body that it doesn't need to do that!

~~~

Clover291302752509.78710907 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

I just suddenly stopped eating meat one day, for no particular reason. I just didn't want to eat it any more. I didn't cut down gradually, or only eat chicken for a while, I just went "cold turkey" (sorry for the pun). I was about 35 and single, so I don't think it was hormonal for me.

DH eats fish, as do I, and he doesn't mind vegetarian food so it's not a problem in our kitchen. I wil cook turkey for his for Thanksgiving, and steak on his birthday but I just don't want to eat it. I'd cook two meals if he did want meat more often, since it's me that's being the odd one. I feel lucky that he will eat what I eat.

I think I've been healthier since giving up meat. I've never had a single upset stomach since.

only shops­ online1302769701.2575668 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

I started to feel that way a few years ago, mostly about pork and beef. Then, for a while, I found chicken disgusting. It just came out of the blue and the meat became totally gross to me. It's since gotten better, but I only eat beef or pork once or twice a month. And, we eat several meatless dinners each week.

I wish the same thing would happen with chocolate.

Nellie B1302787313.492692 PostsRegistered 4/11/2009
On 4/13/2011 Divine said:

HTHSmile

Nellie, you and I have that in common. I couldn't bear the thought of any meat for more than five years. Then one day, out of the blue, I had an unbelievable craving for a big, juicy cheeseburger. Go figure...that was that...I was back on the beef. {#emotions_dlg.huh}

Wow!!!!

Oh, the time this happened to me, however, was in my mid thirties so I don't think mine was necessarily hormonal.

wagirl1302815438.7034771 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

I'm going through that now too. Food just sounds horrible and can hardly stand to do any cooking. Don't know if it has to do with the horrible case of SAD I have or not. Maybe a month somewhere warm and sunny would help. I'm in Wa state, land of moss and algae!

BlondeBroo­ke1302817651.9876728 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006

I felt like this during the first trimester of my pregnancy's. I couldn't even look at raw meat.

If it were me, I'd think I was pregnant.

Last edited on 4/14/2011

Last edited on 4/14/2011

~Too busy being fabulous~

Divine1302823267.0973645 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008
On 4/14/2011 Nellie B said:
On 4/13/2011 Divine said:

HTHSmile

Wow!!!!

Oh, the time this happened to me, however, was in my mid thirties so I don't think mine was necessarily hormonal.

I don't know if mine was hormonal or what? I had recently gotten home from a three month hospital stay, so that very well may have had something to do with it. I don't have a clue, but it was very strange.

I'm glad to know there are others who have had similar experiences.

purrmom1302824477.9033400 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

This has happened to my sister who's in her 60's now. We always talk about it & haven't figured out a reason.. She's been a vegetarian for many years now.

frances11302829643.093342 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006Oklahoma

This happened to me when I was getting chemo for breast cancer. Not so unusual, I guess. I got over it, but still hardly ever eat red meat.

ury1302835185.0433362 PostsRegistered 2/27/2010Royals / Chiefs / Sporting KC Soccer

Interesting. The same thing happened to me about five years ago. Can't eat a steak or hamburger or pork. Perhaps it is hormonal, as I went through changes about the same time.

A change of attitude is a change of destiny. (Neville Gardner)
-- Jean

chrystaltr­ee1302875130.95713221 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

I think our tastes for certain foods change over time. I wouldn't say that I have an aversion to meat. I believe humans are natural carnivores and I have not moral or ethical problem with eating meat. However, I find that (for some odd reason) I just don't eat much meat anymore. I was discussing this with my husband the other day. Other than an occasional hamburger, I never ate red meat but I did eat chicken and fish. Now the only time I eat meat is when the meat is in soup or when I order a chicken caesar salad. I don't even put sausage in my pasta sauce any more. I think (and I might be off base here) it's because I'm eating nutritiously now and I'm getting plenty of protein from other sources. I have two protein shakes a day, I eat yogurt and Kashi cereals. I eat beans. I think since my body doesn't need protein, it doesn't require meat.

Page 1 of 1