Holidays at Home
55 Members and 11580 Guests Online

Among Friends

Do You Think Bashing Hosts On This Forum Is a Form of Bullying Or

Started 1300815639.277 in Among Friends | Last reply 1301268806.833 by mallrat

Is It A Difference of Opinion?

Bullying is a form of abuse. It involves repeated acts over time attempting to create or enforce one person's (or group's) power over another person (or group) , thus an "imbalance of power".[1] The "imbalance of power" may be social power and/or physical power. The victim of bullying is sometimes referred to as a target. Bullying types of behavior are often rooted in a would-be bully's inability to empathize with those whom he or she would target. wikipedia

Difference of Opinion

It doesn't matter if it's in a family, friendship, at church or work, disagreements and differences of opinion will happen. Each person has a unique way of viewing the world, so conflict isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, differences of opinion often foster open communication and change.

Page 1 of 5
Krimpette1300815860.82710005 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

To be honest, I think it's kind of sad.

wildchild861300816188.117886 PostsRegistered 10/28/2006Sin City girl living in the Bible Belt... for now anyway.
No I don't but it's kind of sad when people worship salespeople on home shopping network. Last edited on 3/22/2011

Last edited on 3/22/2011

25 years old, Sicilian, Swedish and 1/4 Asian.

JudyL1300816242.22497 PostsRegistered 1/11/2008

I agree with funtoscrap that it's sad. But, yes, some of it can be looked at as bullying.

I think if it's done respectfully, i.e., someone saying they like or don't like a hosts dress or hair that night or whatever then it can be a "difference of opinion." But all to often it turns nasty and becomes a bash-fest and that's where the bullying comes in.

Dream. Live. Believe. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Tuskney1300816402.817848 PostsRegistered 3/1/2011

Until you have walked a mile in someones' shoes you should not be so critical. These people are just trying to do their job. How would you feel if a group of people were so critical of how you do your job? And then post their assessments on a forum for many others to see. The hosts are on live TV, with no "do overs". As many have said before me, if you don't like what you are seeing change the station. There is no reason to be so mean.

naturalfan1300816451.1434263 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

Why do people think it is SO terrible to say anything negative about a host but they think nothing about bashing (and I mean seriously bashing) politicians? Everyone is entitled to their own political opinions but some get into personal comments about politicians way beyond just commenting on their political beliefs. Is it because politicians chose to be in the public eye? So did someone who chooses to have a job in broadcasting. They also made a choice to be in the public eye.

chickenbutt1300816517.77323932 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

IMO, the term 'bashing' is used to an extreme, and inappropriate, degree on this board. I see a lot of critiquing that is nowhere near what could be considered bashing, yet the posters are admonished to the nth degree and, actually, bashed relentlessly by some for allegedly bashing show hosts (weird how that works, eh?). It gets pretty ugly and most of the ugliness I see is on the end of the ones bashing the supposed bashers.

That said, there are definitely some inappropriate things said about hosts, and others, but it's not for anybody here to judge and chastise somebody else just because they said something that another doesn't want to 'hear'. I just try to ignore those things as bringing attention to them is the worst thing to do. People like that do it for attention.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

prisrob1300816525.962183 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007

I don't understand the nastiness. Has our society become so uncivilized that we have to bash anyone?

di-mc1300816808.9577430 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

Are the hosts required to read all posts? If they don't read the posts, they can't be affected, so I don't think it's bullying. If someone doesn't think a host is doing a good job, they have the right to state their opinion.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

prisrob1300816866.7132183 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007
On 3/22/2011 naturalfan said:

Why do people think it is SO terrible to say anything negative about a host but they think nothing about bashing (and I mean seriously bashing) politicians? Everyone is entitled to their own political opinions but some get into personal comments about politicians way beyond just commenting on their political beliefs. Is it because politicians chose to be in the public eye? So did someone who chooses to have a job in broadcasting. They also made a choice to be in the public eye.

I was talking in general but used the hosts because I see so much more of it, I think the piling on of negativity on anyone is harmful to all of us. I also think that posters are jumped on very quickly at times.

prisrob1300816941.9872183 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007
On 3/22/2011 di-mc said:

Are the hosts required to read all posts? If they don't read the posts, they can't be affected, so I don't think it's bullying. If someone doesn't think a host is doing a good job, they have the right to state their opinion.

The nastiness incites many other posters, so I am not sure what to call it.

yella1300816956.35313 PostsRegistered 2/1/2010

I think it's boring and shows a lack of original thinking. You need to look at your life if you can't express yourself without putting another person down.

casuallady1300817019.6031264 PostsRegistered 4/25/2007

I love, love, love the forum, and really enjoy most of the posts. The information I have obtained is amazing. Having said that, I am making a decision that I hope I keep, to never open a post that bashes a host.

NYC Susan1300817237.2874572 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY

No, it's not bullying. Anyone in the public eye knows that praise and criticism both come with the territory. You have to have a thick skin - That's just the way it is. There are both benefits and detriments to having a job on television, and everyone who works in television knows that. Of course it's not nice to be mean, but everyone has a right to their own opinion, and often public opinon can be helpful. {#emotions_dlg.sleep}

"Bullying" is becoming a new catch phrase that loses it's real meaning when it's over-used or used inappropriately. JMO!

bonnielu1300817293.8475715 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

If someone annoys me I find a way out. If a host or vendor is not to my liking I turn the channel. I personally wish that QVC would ban host, vendor bashing by immediately eliminating the posts. I see no value in it. And I am sure it does hurt feelings. I know I would be hurt if my every word, move, etc was criticized. I do think it is a form of bullying. And in my long experience those who bash or bully are insecure about themselves. I was once told that when you POINT with one finger, three fingers are pointing right back at you.

prisrob1300817600.4772183 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007
On 3/22/2011 yella said:

I think it's boring and shows a lack of original thinking. You need to look at your life if you can't express yourself without putting another person down.

Wow, I love your attitude!

prisrob1300817671.1772183 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007
On 3/22/2011 casuallady said:

I love, love, love the forum, and really enjoy most of the posts. The information I have obtained is amazing. Having said that, I am making a decision that I hope I keep, to never open a post that bashes a host.

That will keep positivity in your life!

prisrob1300817784.3072183 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007
On 3/22/2011 NYC Susan said:

No, it's not bullying. Anyone in the public eye knows that praise and criticism both come with the territory. You have to have a thick skin - That's just the way it is. There are both benefits and detriments to having a job on television, and everyone who works in television knows that. Of course it's not nice to be mean, but everyone has a right to their own opinion, and often public opinon can be helpful. {#emotions_dlg.sleep}

"Bullying" is becoming a new catch phrase that loses it's real meaning when it's over-used or used inappropriately. JMO!

what word would you use for this behavior? What is most annoying for me is the nastiness and catty attitudes that exist and multiply on posts that bash anyone or anything.

DiAnne1300818067.025666 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

I think whether you are a home shopping host, actress, singer, politician, reality star, etc. you are seeking attention and want to be in the public eye. Along with this comes praise and criticism.

I am sure none of the hosts care what the posters here think of them.

NYC Susan1300818213.6634572 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY
On 3/22/2011 prisrob said:

what word would you use for this behavior? What is most annoying for me is the nastiness and catty attitudes that exist and multiply on posts that bash anyone or anything.

The word I would use is the word you used: bashing. Posting negative opinions on a message board is not the same as bullying. Talk to someone who's been actually bullied. There's a big difference.

I'm not saying it's nice to post consistently negative posts about QVC hosts - or anyone. I'm just saying that it's not bullying. Anonymous posters have no power and can easily be ignored. Actual bullies have a real impact on people's lives.

tessan1300818245.5271211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

there is plenty of bullying of other posters here that way outweighs the host bullying/bashing.

tessan1300818380.491211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

The word I would use is the word you used: bashing. Posting negative opinions on a message board is not the same as bullying. Talk to someone who's been actually bullied. There's a big difference.

I'm not saying it's nice to post consistently negative posts about QVC hosts - or anyone. I'm just saying that it's not bullying. Anonymous posters have no power and can easily be ignored. Actual bullies have a real impact on people's lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullying

Last edited on 3/22/2011

NYC Susan1300818676.6774572 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY
On 3/22/2011 tessan said:

Okay.............(I'm not sure what your point is!) I stand by what I said.

tessan1300818832.8831211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

read the definition, you don't have to "have a real impact on people's lives" to be a bully.

rietzel1300819175.0631753 PostsRegistered 8/17/2006

I think it is pathetic. Grown people coming daily to bash the same people over and over again. We expect children to behave better but how can they with grown ups doing what we tell them is unacceptable.

NYC Susan1300819302.784572 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY

read the definition, you don't have to "have a real impact on people's lives" to be a bully.

I did read the definition.

Page 1 of 5