Meant for Mom(SM)
153 Members and 10918 Guests Online

Among Friends

The Good Old Days - What Does This Mean To You ?

Started 1297123326.513 in Among Friends | Last reply 1297221441.34 by caligrl

Probably the best years of my life, I just did not know it at the time. A young teenager with no worries, except to go to school and starting to have an interest in boys.

......formerly k dash
......not a tatz artist
......no tatz on me

Page 1 of 2
closetQVCg­irl1297123466.5871280 PostsRegistered 3/18/2009

I think it means childhood for most (regardless of the era), not because times were better but because we were in ignorant bliss before we KNEW about the world and paying bills. The exception would be those with childhoods full of suffering, and it saddens me to think they missed out on "the good old days."

annabellet1297123677.087299 PostsRegistered 4/3/2010

Sitting on the front porch on a rainy day with my sisters and playing "cars". We each picked 2 colors and and got a point for every car of the color we chose that drove by. And the best part? We lived in a pretty rural area and after a couple hours or more, our collective scores were probably less than 10. But I relish the memory of every one of those rainy afternoons that went on forever.

ennui1297123854.219957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

I think the days before technology and the internet took over our lives. The Information Age has its plusses, but there sure are a lot of negatives, too. Now, people panic if they leave the house without their cell phone. I miss the days when you could be unreachable for hours, instead of being plugged in. Life was so much simpler.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Zoologist1297124060.2675971 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

Are you asking what my own person 'good old days' time was?

If so, it was 1987-1999. The GODs began when my dh and I re-connected after meeting years before, and then dating, engagement, fairytale wedding, and our dreamy marriage.

They ended when he passed away in 1999.

battyoldbr­oad1297124410.071206 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010

Interesting, thought-provoking post. I remember my parents talking about 'the good old days' - and thinking how silly! But when I look back I remember a simpler life (pre technology boom) - when being 'content' was a good thing! I feel bad for the children today - they're in every sport, every event - shuttled from morning until dark to school, practice, etc. and in between they're doing homework, online, tweeting, texting. I think, sadly, that they will have no 'good old days' to remember.

YupurrsX31297125305.3331879 PostsRegistered 12/15/2010Somewhere between here and there

The "good 'ol days" were not always good. I think we just choose to look upon the past while wearing rose colored glasses, while conveniently ignoring the bad/unpleasant parts of the past.

Formally Yuban3

Blackie
'95 - '11
My honey-bunny
R.I.P.

caligrl1297125566.7979049 PostsRegistered 7/17/2008

The good old days?? Clean water, clean air~~~ firm b oobs~~real teeth~~innocense~`` Put out that cigarette k dash~~~{#emotions_dlg.angry}

Zoologist1297125675.995971 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010
On 2/7/2011 foxy21 said:

Interesting, thought-provoking post. I remember my parents talking about 'the good old days' - and thinking how silly! But when I look back I remember a simpler life (pre technology boom) - when being 'content' was a good thing! I feel bad for the children today - they're in every sport, every event - shuttled from morning until dark to school, practice, etc. and in between they're doing homework, online, tweeting, texting. I think, sadly, that they will have no 'good old days' to remember.

Foxy21 - that's not entirely true. I have boys 12 to 33, and each will have a different set of "good old days" to remember.

My sons are NOT shuttled from morning til dark to school, practice, and all the things you've said. They're straight A students who don't milk cows, bale hay, or have to take full parenting responsibilities for many younger siblings, like kids did 50+ yrs ago. And their childhood has included technology, sure, but also lots of pick-up games of baseball and football with neighborhood boys, making tents out of quilts in the back yard, kool aid stands in the summer, jumping in piles of leaves in the fall, making snow forts in the winter, swimming at the local pool in the summer, catching fireflies in June, etc. Sounds like things kids did decades ago, doesn't it?

To your parents or perhaps your grandparents, the fact you had a TV (color?) to watch after school may have made them feel sad for YOU - if they only had a radio. The fact that back in the 1960s teens began having princess phones in their room was "gasp" worthy by grandparents' standards.

So, in other words, your parents' childhood "standards" were not yours. Your childhood "standards" aren't those for today's children. And in 25 yrs, my boys' childhood "standards" will seem antiquated to ther kids.

di-mc1297126425.7037051 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

I have to laugh when I hear people talk about the 1950's as being the good old days. No way! In the 1950's there was a disease that every single parent feared, and rightly so - polio. In the height of summer, pools would close for fear of transmitting polio. If a child in town got polio, the entire town was scared to death - who would it strike next?

Besides that, there were drills in school for when the "bomb" was dropped. Obviously, nothing would help, but there were drills anyway. Kids lining up to either go to the school basement, or crouch underneath their desks. Today we are concerned with bullies, back then there was one big bully who could wipe out everyone. That's how kids felt anyway.

On the other hand, divorce was almost unheard of. Most kids came from intact families and generally lived near grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Stranger danger didn't exist yet, although we were warned to stay away from certain men with bad reputations, deserved or not. Playing outside was what kids did, they didn't have to be told to do so. Generally children were not over-weight, they ran, played and walked to and from school.

The good old days? A state of mind.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

just bee1297126521.91313121 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hmmm. Are you referring to that period when we were younger and were baffled because it seemed like all the people who are the age we are now (like our parents and teachers) were p*ssed off all the time?

Isn't it interesting that we now know why? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

Mapshopper1297126892.44316 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
Reading the morning/evening newspaper; Mom having lunch ready when I walked home from school; playing outside until it was dark; more time spent with people instead of technology...when my parents were young.

duke mom1297126893.8531442 PostsRegistered 7/12/2009

Right now. I have a little boy who loves me more than any other woman on Earth and thinks I'm the best mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves and respects me. I have my parents and my brother. We all are in good health and have nice roofs over our heads and food on our table.

Zoologist1297126987.6175971 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010
On 2/7/2011 di-mc said:

I have to laugh when I hear people talk about the 1950's as being the good old days. No way! In the 1950's there was a disease that every single parent feared, and rightly so - polio. In the height of summer, pools would close for fear of transmitting polio. If a child in town got polio, the entire town was scared to death - who would it strike next?

Besides that, there were drills in school for when the "bomb" was dropped. Obviously, nothing would help, but there were drills anyway. Kids lining up to either go to the school basement, or crouch underneath their desks. Today we are concerned with bullies, back then there was one big bully who could wipe out everyone. That's how kids felt anyway.

On the other hand, divorce was almost unheard of. Most kids came from intact families and generally lived near grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Stranger danger didn't exist yet, although we were warned to stay away from certain men with bad reputations, deserved or not. Playing outside was what kids did, they didn't have to be told to do so. Generally children were not over-weight, they ran, played and walked to and from school.

The good old days? A state of mind.

Yes, divorce was far less common, but let me tell you first hand, waaaaaay too many families stayed "intact" that should NEVER have remained together. My own included.

I remember coming home when I was 9, so happy I was nearly crying with joy. I'd just learned what "divorce" was and what it meant. I was ecstatic! Couldn't WAIT to educate my mom! I just KNEW she'd be thrilled to know we did not have to live with my dad another day! We'd be FREE of that monster!!!!!!!!!!

She just sadly smiled, and said no, that's not gonna happen.

I was in shock! Surely I'd not explained it well enough. She HAD to be as thrilled as I was to know that we could make him leave! No more beatings! No more smashing things!

No, divorce wasn't as common, sadly. It should have been.

Plus sexual abuse happened way too much, but again, that, too was generally shoved under the family rugs. Thank God kids today know about good touch/bad touch, and even if it is your brother, uncle, dad, grandpa, or even a female, it's wrong.

Sooner1297127912.8213901 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I find that phrase annoying to be really honest about it. To me it means longing for something that isn't gone and isn't coming back, and probably wasn't as great as it is remembered anyway. I'm one that thinks it isn't very productive to wish for what is gone, because I like to think about the blessings I have today. Maybe that sounds harsh to you, but my mother lives in the past and has a dream-like view of her childhood, which was in truth pretty miserable. So through her, I've had more than my fill of "the good old days."

!FitChick!1297128387.357692 PostsRegistered 1/22/2011

The good old days would include having my grandparents around again; I am getting misty-eyed just thinking about how the best gift I could ever hope for now would be to hear my grandparents speaking one more time. The good old days would also be the days before credit card debt; it's going down, but it is a long process; there are many times I wish I hadn't looked down on and rebelled against how frugal the one set of grandparents was, but live and learn, right? I like the notion of old-fashioned birthday parties like I had; cake, ice cream, musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey, then send everyone home; about a 90 minute commitment on a Saturday afternoon. I liked the tv shows that the whole family really liked, and watched together; for us it was Carol Burnett. I liked that the naughtiest shows on tv were Soap and Benny Hill, and that you had to stay up kind of late to watch them.

bunkster1297133476.04820 PostsRegistered 4/20/2010

Although I agree with those that say the good old days were often viewed through rose colored glasses, I do think that in every life there are times when we look back with fondness and genuinely feel that in hind sight, they were very special times. Does that mean it's great to spend too much time regretting that those days are over and miss out on what we have now? No, but like some good advice when I got married, 'be ready for the downs as well as the ups' and truer words were never spoken.

So one of the up times for me in life were the college years. It was (giving away my age here) a time when the average student was working 10-15 hours a week during the semester instead of the hours my kids are working, and there was time to talk, get to know professors that actually could be found in their office most of the time, see new things, experience speakers on campus that were 'famous' (compared to my small town of 1000 people!) and linger over cokes (not coffee!) and dream a bit. No massive planners or schedulers, and a built in community of friends in the same boat as me. Yes...I can remember those days fondly, and still have optimism for the days ahead.

tatz1297137328.746626 PostsRegistered 11/2/2010.....Kentucky
On 2/7/2011 caligrl said:

The good old days?? Clean water, clean air~~~ firm b oobs~~real teeth~~innocense~`` Put out that cigarette k dash~~~{#emotions_dlg.angry}

Hi caligrl, you make me laugh, and caught me smoking.

......formerly k dash
......not a tatz artist
......no tatz on me

Girlo1297137599.132948 PostsRegistered 1/20/2007

When I would run across the street, ring the doorbell and say hi Mrs B. can lorraine come out and play. Sleep overs, playing tv tag or box ball on a summer night. No tvs in the bedrooms....everyone watched tv together. Holidays with my cousins, putting on family plays. Chinese jump roap, hopscotch. I love Lucy on tv , Wodnerful world of disney...When it was so exciting that the wizard of oz was going to be on tv. My kids laugh when I tell them the first show I ever saw on color tv was a Charlie Brown Christmas.

We are all mortal till the first kiss and the second glass of wine.

mysterylady1297137946.653695 PostsRegistered 8/23/2009

The good old days when life was much simpler. When things cost less and even though we made much less we all worked hard to make things work. When people had less possesssions, less clothing, wanted less and needed less. We were satisfied and content. We weren't as envious and competitive. We were more self-sufficient - women made some of their own clothing, grew their own vegetables and enjoyed it all. Men worked and supported the families and moms stayed home and nurtured the children. Kids walked to the local, neighborhood schools (in my case, 1 mile each way and also home and back at lunchtime). Family time was watching family-type TV shows, in one room - together, visiting relatives or simply going for a ride in the car - usually one car per family. When college credits and room and board for a semester at a major university was $900. When I was happy with my parttime job making $1.00 an hour. Yes, we aspired to more but couldn't dream that we'd eventually be a part of a world of such excesses. I often think that those who don't appreciate the good old days have just never lived them.

Forgot to mention that dinner in the university dining hall on Sat. night was a choice of steak or lobster tail.

Last edited on 2/7/2011

Last edited on 2/7/2011

Maggie Nol­ia1297138686.5914669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

Just think --- one day, someone will be speaking of these days as "the good old days".

Simpler times. Innocent times. Carefree times. Like walking to school or riding my bike to school, walking or biking to my friend's house across town and then we'd walk/bike to anywhere else we thought of to go, trick-or-treating all over town -- to strangers' houses even, having to search for the house key when we went out-of-town for a few days because there was no need to lock the house at any other time.

Last edited on 2/7/2011

Last edited on 2/7/2011

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

YupurrsX31297139033.291879 PostsRegistered 12/15/2010Somewhere between here and there
On 2/7/2011 mysterylady said:

The good old days when life was much simpler. When things cost less and even though we made much less we all worked hard to make things work. When people had less possesssions, less clothing, wanted less and needed less. We were satisfied and content. We weren't as envious and competitive. We were more self-sufficient - women made some of their own clothing, grew their own vegetables and enjoyed it all. Men worked and supported the families and moms stayed home and nurtured the children. Kids walked to the local, neighborhood schools (in my case, 1 mile each way and also home and back at lunchtime). Family time was watching family-type TV shows, in one room - together, visiting relatives or simply going for a ride in the car - usually one car per family. When college credits and room and board for a semester at a major university was $900. When I was happy with my parttime job making $1.00 an hour. Yes, we aspired to more but couldn't dream that we'd eventually be a part of a world of such excesses. I often think that those who don't appreciate the good old days have just never lived them.

Forgot to mention that dinner in the university dining hall on Sat. night was a choice of steak or lobster tail.

Last edited on 2/7/2011

Gee, how far back do you want to go for the "good 'ol days"? The 1800's? Women made their own clothing? Grew their own vegetables? Even in "Little House on the Prairie" days, things weren't always sunshine and roses. I have a surprise for you, women actually worked durring WW2. Imagine that!

Formally Yuban3

Blackie
'95 - '11
My honey-bunny
R.I.P.

mysterylady1297139657.597695 PostsRegistered 8/23/2009
On 2/7/2011 Purrs365 said:

Last edited on 2/7/2011

Gee, how far back do you want to go for the "good 'ol days"? The 1800's? Women made their own clothing? Grew their own vegetables? Even in "Little House on the Prairie" days, things weren't always sunshine and roses. I have a surprise for you, women actually worked durring WW2. Imagine that!

Small town PA in the '50s - the good old days. I'm not saying women didn't work but some who work today have no choice - it most times takes two incomes. Not the case in the good old days for the most part. Believe it or not women enjoyed the creativity of making outfits and it could be done so economically. People also enjoy vegetable gardening today. Imagine that.

YupurrsX31297139775.371879 PostsRegistered 12/15/2010Somewhere between here and there
On 2/7/2011 Purrs365 said:

Last edited on 2/7/2011

Small town PA in the '50s - the good old days. I'm not saying women didn't work but some who work today have no choice - it most times takes two incomes. Not the case in the good old days for the most part. Believe it or not women enjoyed the creativity of making outfits and it could be done so economically. People also enjoy vegetable gardening today. Imagine that.

And some women didn't have a choice then either. People also earned less money. Not everything was straight from "Leave It To Beaver".

Formally Yuban3

Blackie
'95 - '11
My honey-bunny
R.I.P.

Zoologist1297170525.9435971 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

ITA - my childhood was about as opposite of LITB as could possibly be.

kittymom61297174218.6831203 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010
On 2/7/2011 Mapshopper said: Reading the morning/evening newspaper; Mom having lunch ready when I walked home from school; playing outside until it was dark; more time spent with people instead of technology...when my parents were young.

I suppose I would like to add: A time when things were a little more innocent, when kids didn't grow up quite so fast (I volunteer with second graders, and it amazes/shocks me as to what they "know".)

Also, a feeling of feeling a little safer. When I was a kid (1960's) seems I could ride my bicycle nearly anywhere within reason, take the bus, etc., and things were OK. I really feel for kids who (rightfully so) have to be so "protected."

Page 1 of 2