TSV(R) Preview
140 Members and 11104 Guests Online

Among Friends

SHINGLES SHOT

Started 1296689270.43 in Among Friends | Last reply 1297128836.34 by Gooday

Does anyone know anything about the shingles injection - i.e. cost, how long does it last, side effects?

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
BREEZYBEAR1296689532.7133106 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007

i heard they are on back order,i want to get one.my friend had shingles its no picnic.

pollyjo1296690097.5732 PostsRegistered 1/29/2011

I want to get one too, my brother had them, took almost 2 years to recover, he had to take early retirement because of it.

marmot241296690133410 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009 Steeler country

My DH and I were talking about getting the shot. We called our dr. and she said it was o.k. for me but not him. He has an auto-immune disease, similar to lupus.

She said the shingles vaccine is a "live" vaccine and should not be given to people with compromised immune systems. It can cause them to get the disease.

We did both get the seasonal flu shot, which is not a live vaccine.

My kitties have a prized home with canned food & lots of love!

Mama Deb1296690317.4972206 PostsRegistered 9/26/2006

Can anyone who has had the shingles previously get the injection? I had a very light case of the shingles, but it was very painful none the less.

BREEZYBEAR1296690789.4633106 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007

yes you can, but ask your medical dr.

docsgirl1296692063.683659 PostsRegistered 10/15/2006

I got my shingles shot 2 years ago. I had absolutely no side effects. The price varies but is costly. My insurance company pays in full for anyone age 60 and over. It's a one time shot so once you get it, it's good for the rest of your life. My late husband had shingles and he had a very high tolerance for pain. He said the pain from the shingles was much worse than the pain he experienced from his open heart surgery.

Even with the shingles shot one can get shingles but it would be a much milder case. I'm glad I got mine. Check with your physician. Good luck. docsgirl {#emotions_dlg.wub}

DiAnne1296693452.4135756 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

Thanks docsgirl that is what I needed to know. My neighbor has a terrible case of shingles and this just got me to thinking about it.

I think I heard someone say they were $600 - is that possible?

CLEM1296696907.1412525 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA

You can only get the shingles shot if you already had the shingles before.

I know you can get a vacccine after you get the shingles. It's a different one though.

millieshops1296697353.7415101 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 2/2/2011 CLEM said:

I know you can get a vacccine after you get the shingles. It's a different one though.

Clem- You sure about this? I'm on my doctor's waitlist for the shingls shot and I've never had shingles. The friend who pushed me into signing up had a very painful case and she says she can't get the shot for herself until 5 years have elapsed. REally conflicting info!

Babe31296697552.56799 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004
Clem, I think you mean you have to have had chicken pox in order to get/need the shingles shot...The chicken pox virus can reappear as shingles later in life. I understand it is very painful. I've had the shot and had no side effects. Babe

noseycat1296698734.077233 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007
On 2/2/2011 CLEM said:

My mother got the shingles shot last winter and she has never had shingles so you can get it without having had shingles. She had no side effects but the price was something like $160. I have a compromised immune system so my brother had to take her to get the shot and I could not be around her for 30 days.

di-mc1296698870.1077506 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

I've had shingles and it's something you want to avoid if at all possible! Not fun! BTW, you don't have to be old to get it, I wasn't. My dermatologist told me she has had teenagers with shingles.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

naughtyand­nice1296699203.027521 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010
On 2/2/2011 CLEM said:

NO, you are completely wrong.

CDC recommends Zostavax for use in people 60 years old and older to prevent shingles. This is a one-time vaccination. There is no maximum age for getting the shingles vaccine.

Anyone 60 years of age or older should get the shingles vaccine, regardless of whether they recall having had chickenpox or not. Studies show that more than 99% of Americans ages 40 and older have had chickenpox, even if they don’t remember getting the disease.

Your risk for getting shingles begins to rise around age 50. However, shingles vaccine (Zostavax) is only recommended for persons age 60 and older because the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine were only studied in this age group.

Even if you have had shingles, you can still receive the shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific time that you must wait after having shingles before receiving the shingles vaccine. The decision on when to get vaccinated should be made with your health care provider. Generally, a person should make sure that the shingles rash has disappeared before getting vaccinated.

bigsister1296699269.2375716 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Southern California

DiAnne, I had a mild case of shingles about 20 years ago. I did get the vacine about two years ago and had no ill effects from it. I paid out-of-pocket and it was about $200. Some insurances do cover it, from what I've heard.

I recommend you get one. The shingles can be severe and the after-effects can be serious and painful.

Last edited on 2/3/2011

Last edited on 2/3/2011

travelbug1296699447.907388 PostsRegistered 8/15/2007
I got the shot and my insurance paid 100% of the cost. I had no side effects at all. Had never had shingles before but had an uncle that suffered horribly with them.

Be you to others kind & true as you would have others be to you.

HopeReigns1296699461.1973517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007

I had a very bad case of shingles in 2006-2007 and since then I have had them but not as bad as the first time. My doctor said that if you have had shingles really bad one time, your body should have built up enough immunity to the disease so you do not need the shot. In my case since I get them recurrently, she won't give me the shot for fear half my whole body will break out and neither one of us want that. Hope

Hope, >^.^<

"

DiAnne1296699605.115756 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

Thank-you everyone for the info.

DiAnne

GoodStuff1296700085.02315158 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Our insurance covered the shots for DH and myself. It should last for the rest of your life. You can ask your doctor about the advisability of the shot for your medical situation and pricing. It's pretty expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it. We had no side effects or problems from the shot, and after seeing my MIL suffer with a very severe case of shingles and neuropathy afterwards, we knew we wanted to do whatever it took to prevent getting shingles. Our doctor said the shot wouldn't 100% guarantee that we'd never get shingles -- but it greatly reduces the likelihood. And if you should get shingles in spite of the vaccination, it should be a lighter case.

Northcoast1296700620.227549 PostsRegistered 3/22/2008

I received the shingles shot last year at the local grocery store's pharmacy. It cost $90.00 up front (reimbursed by insurance.) I had no discomfort or reaction to the shot, and it has given me so much peace of mind that I have protected myself against this awful disease. My husband got shingles about 13 years ago, and suffered a lot from pain and itching. To this day, he still gets a tingling sensation on his abdomen that causes some discomfort.

Sytteb1296701219.32358 PostsRegistered 10/3/2006Ala

Shingles is related to a person having chickenpox in his or her childhood. The virus stays latent in the body and can come out later as shingles. I had the vaccine over a year ago and I did not have any side effects from it. My insurance covered the vaccine.

Yes you can get shingles again but it will not be severe as if you didn't have the vaccine.

Many of the older people in my church have had the shingles so I dicided to get the shot.

My Mother had the shingles when I was a little girl and I remember how she suffered with the rash all around her waist. She was only in her thirties, so unless there was a reason not to get it, I would recommend it as some of my friends have said "get the shot".

jenagal1296702472.5136286 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004Midwest: God's Country

22 months ago I got the shingles vaccine and they charged $200.00 for it. The ins. paid $125, which I was thankful. I didn't have any reaction to the shot whatsoever. I was kind of leary for I heard that some did. Good luck.

My question is this. If you don't know that you had chicken pox or not, what happens if you did NOT have it and you get the shot? I know you must have had cknpx to get the shot but I wonder if you can get the shingles from the shot if you did not have cknpx. I guess that is what I am trying to ask. Anyone know? I remember when I had the cknpx but my DH doesn't think he did but not sure.

Jenagal \\^. .^// When posting on QVC items let's be sure the item # is included. TIA.
My iPad posting means no paragraphs, small font, no highlighting, for starters. Sorry.

prisrob1296702942.842192 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007
On 2/2/2011 DiAnne said:

Does anyone know anything about the shingles injection - i.e. cost, how long does it last, side effects?

Possible Reactions to Vaccination

No serious problems have been identified with shingles vaccine.

The vaccine has been tested in about 20,000 people aged 60 years old and older. The most common side effects in people who got the vaccine were redness, soreness, swelling or itching at the shot site, and headache. CDC, working with the FDA, will continue to monitor the safety of the vaccine after it is in general use.

It is safe to be around infants and young children, pregnant women, or people with weakened immune systems after you get the shingles vaccine. There is no documentation of a person getting chickenpox from someone who has received the shingles vaccine (which contains varicella zoster virus).

Some people who get the shingles vaccine will develop a chickenpox-like rash near the place where they were vaccinated. As a precaution, this rash should be covered until it disappears.

The shingles vaccine does not contain thimerosal (a preservative containing mercury).

top of page

Reimbursement for Vaccination

All Medicare Part D plans cover the shingles vaccine. The amount of cost-sharing (money you have to pay) for vaccination varies.

Medicare Part B does not cover the shingles vaccine. If you have private insurance or Medicaid, your plan may or may not cover the vaccine; contact your insurer to find out.

aubnwa011296703569.8036881 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ

I just had a shingles shot last week. My Dr. told me that not all health insurances cover the cost, which is about $200 & to check with mine before & that I may have to pay out of pocket for it. Fortunately, my insurance covers it. It's a one time-lifetime shot & I'm pretty sure I had chicken pox as a kid.

I think I read somewhere that someone with active shingles can give an unvaccinated person a case of chicken pox. If you didn't have chicken pox as a child, you should probably check with your Dr. & see whether you should get a chicken pox shot (is there one now days?) or the shingles shot.

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

Crystalblue1296703688.73323 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I had the Zostavax shot last year and had a bad reaction and the shot hurt a lot when she did it. She said the needle they use is longer and thicker. My arm was swollen and red five days. I went back to show the doc and his eyes got real big when he saw my arm. He didn't do anything about it and just said to let him know if it gets any worse! It finally got better but was painful. My other friends had no problems. The shot cost $245 and insurance paid about half. (They gave the shot in the fatty part of the back of the arm. She squeezed the flesh together and injected).

kachina6241296717263.6416229 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

I had the shot a couple of years ago and just had some slight itching at the injection site. I have Medicare & supplemental BC&BS and paid $30 for the shot at Walgreens.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next