Weekend Preview
102 Members and 11200 Guests Online

Among Friends

Blood clotting reasons?

Started 1292611472.047 in Among Friends | Last reply 1292754322.297 by CallmeTESS

I have a friend that has blood clots in her legs, and the doctors says there is no physical reason why she has them. She has been checked and there is no reason why they are happening. Continual blood tests show nothing.

Anyone have experience with this? She does not want to (of course not) stay on Coumadin. There are many foods she's stopped eating because she can't have them anymore.

Please, can you help?

Page 1 of 1
Idacat1292612576.694707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

I'm assuming she has been tested for factor 5 Leiden mutation and has had a hypercoagulability panel done? Factor 5 Leiden is genetic; there is usually more than one affected person in the extended family, but the affected person may not know it. If one person is diagnosed, the rest of the family is usually (or should be) tested.

Not eating certain foods isn't anything that will help, but the fact that she is doing this makes me wondering if she is consulting an MD or something like a chiropractor or naturopath which is not a good idea.

(the hypercoagulability testing is best done OFF coumadin since coumadin affects many of the tests, but there is a panel that can be done on coumadin)

We know a number of reasons for hypercoagulabilty,but, as yet, we don't know all of them, even the Factor 5 Leiden mutation is a fairly new discovery.

She will, however, have to remain on coumadin, it's way better then the alternative.

Bobbisue1292612645.32313696 PostsRegistered 4/25/2010

It may be vascular...People just have them...I developed blood clots in both lungs and the doctor said it may have been related to my breast cancer treatments. But, clots in the legs can be caused by many things, but that's just my opinion. Doctors know best!{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Bobbisue-Former nurse...
Buck- forever in my heart...

Ebonysmom1292612849.04119 PostsRegistered 12/19/2006

I am not sure why your friend has blood clots in her legs. In my case I had surgery in 2000 and 2004 and before that had a broken leg that resulted in a blood clot and a pulminary embolis. Thus before each of these surgeries, precautions were taken and I had a greenfield filter inserted. Still after each one of these surgeries I ended up with two more pulminary embolis episodes. This is extremely scarey and can be deadly. I have been on Coumidin since 2004 when I was put on it permanently. I get tested often, mostly monthly and sometimes even more often for my PTINR levels. I would be so afraid to get more blood clots and pulminary embolis's if I did not take it. I have also had many tests on my legs etc and most recently had venous ablation laser surgery done on my legs. This was once know as vein stripping. I think in some people your blood just is different and clots very easily. I just know I have to live with it, be cautious and always let doctors know that I take coumidin and watch the intake of vitamin K that I might ingest. Foods rich in vitamin K are not good for you to eat. Mostly they are fresh green vegetables and leafy green ones. Fortunatly about the only one that I really like and miss eating is broccoli. I can have cooked broccoli in small amounts but fresh foods are most high in vitamin K. One thing I learned by taking it once and it really messed up my blood is motrin or Ibuprofen products. The only thing I can take is tylenol. Always inform your doctors or dentist that you are on blood thinners.

Idacat1292613197.264707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

Here's a link to a really good page on hypercoagulability disorders and the tests that are done for them.

Most of the tests are done in a hypercoagulability panel, but it MUST be the one that can be done when the patient is off coumadin.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/conditions/hypercoagulable_disorders-6.html

Idacat1292613481.7174707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 12/17/2010 Ebonysmom said:

I am not sure why your friend has blood clots in her legs. In my case I had surgery in 2000 and 2004 and before that had a broken leg that resulted in a blood clot and a pulminary embolis. Thus before each of these surgeries, precautions were taken and I had a greenfield filter inserted. Still after each one of these surgeries I ended up with two more pulminary embolis episodes. This is extremely scarey and can be deadly. I have been on Coumidin since 2004 when I was put on it permanently. I get tested often, mostly monthly and sometimes even more often for my PTINR levels. I would be so afraid to get more blood clots and pulminary embolis's if I did not take it. I have also had many tests on my legs etc and most recently had venous ablation laser surgery done on my legs. This was once know as vein stripping. I think in some people your blood just is different and clots very easily. I just know I have to live with it, be cautious and always let doctors know that I take coumidin and watch the intake of vitamin K that I might ingest. Foods rich in vitamin K are not good for you to eat. Mostly they are fresh green vegetables and leafy green ones. Fortunatly about the only one that I really like and miss eating is broccoli. I can have cooked broccoli in small amounts but fresh foods are most high in vitamin K. One thing I learned by taking it once and it really messed up my blood is motrin or Ibuprofen products. The only thing I can take is tylenol. Always inform your doctors or dentist that you are on blood thinners.

Have YOU been tested for the Factor 5 Leiden mutation and had a COMPLETE hypercoagulability panel?

Vitamin K reverses the effect of coumadin and is necessary for blood to clot in the first place but does not contribute to blood clotting disorders.

Darlene in­ Georgia1292613749.5031006 PostsRegistered 8/25/2009

Google Deep Vein Thrombosis, shows several causes.

Clots in legs are very, very serious, my sweet Mother had a history of blood clots in her legs for which she was on medication and later she suffered a major stroke and then several small ones until she just could not bounce back.

I would suggest that your friend seek medical attention from a reputable vascular dr.

pinksequins1292614171.803752 PostsRegistered 3/13/2009

No, (how did you know 'my friend' was my mom.....you ladies are too good....).........but now she has varicose veins and has to wear those tight stockings to support them, too.....all just from these recent blood clots.......I am passing all this info on to her........you are wonderful.........

Last edited on 12/17/2010

Idacat1292614338.074707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
On 12/17/2010 pinksequins said:

No, (how did you know 'my friend' was my mom.....you ladies are too good....).........but now she has varicose veins and has to wear those tight stockings to support them, too.....all just from these recent blood clots.......I am passing all this info on to her........you are wonderful.........

It's way more likely that the clots are the result of the varicose veins, probably reason number one in the grand scheme of recurrent blood clots.

SophiaMarie1292620489.86732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010

Please tell your friend to see a Vascular Surgeon if she hasn't already.

pinksequins1292621725.75752 PostsRegistered 3/13/2009

A Hemotologist ran all the tests, and they can't figure out why she has these blood clots in her legs, and they're swollen.

realsilver­girl1292622867.4371979 PostsRegistered 12/12/2009

This is not advice---just something to ask your doctor about---a starting point. Something for all of you to research for yourselves: have her ask about a Greenfield filter. There are people who are just prone to clotting for no reason. Is she at all immobile? Anywhoo...anyone in a hospital who is laid up should make sure to ask their doctor about intermittent pneumatic compression devices or sequential compression devices (leg pumps). They can save a life. Blood pools in your legs when you don't move around enough then those clots can break off and go to your lungs causing a pulmonary embolism. Some people only wear them at night but if possible-if your doctor says it is okay it is best to wear them whenever you are in your room---even sitting in a chair. OF Course you have to be sure you don't have a clot to begin with or they could break a clot off themselves. So just listen to your doctors!!! So when the nurse brings in the leg wraps for the pump---listen to her! They can save your life-especially if one cannot be on anticoagulants that prevent the clots from forming in the first place..

If you twist and turn away.
It you tear yourself in two again.
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would let it go.
Surrender, dislocate.
Bad U2

GoodStuff1292623683.01715154 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Immobility can be a major factor in developing blood clots, and it is often difficult to keep old folks moving as health problems develop. Is she not eating certain foods (green leafy vegetables and olive oil, for example) because she is on coumadin? Some of these foods high in Vitamin K can reduce clotting -- too much while you're also taking anti-clotting medications. It's also important to regularly check blood levels and clotting factors while you're taking coumadin.

Zaksgrrl1292642443.639844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

If she has to limit her diet due to the coumadin, her doctor is just plain lazy. With proper monitoring, a person on coumadin can eat anything they want!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

GoodStuff1292642568.37715154 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Many doctors still recommend avoiding green leafy vegetables rich in Vitamin K while patients are on coumadin.

RedTop1292707298.974597 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

My grandmother was prone to blood clots in her legs, which were a result of her sitting for long periods of time, while crocheting and doing needlework. She also had a tendency to sit with one leg folded underneath her. Once she changed her behavior and started walking more frequently, she stopped getting the blood clots.

BAGGIRL1292720339.877955 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010Massachusetts

I have what it is called Antithrombin lll deficiency.

I have a sister with the same condition.

My late mother also had a history of blood clots and venous ulcers. She died in 1990 from a pulmonary embolism.

If a hematologist has run tests, believe me, I went through many, they would most likely have found a cause. I suppose it is possible that some people are just prone to having clotting problems. Anyone can get a blood clot !

I along with my sister have been taking blood thinners and will continue for the rest of our lives. I suffered from my first clot at age 20. I went on Coumadin for a short period of time.

In 2001 I had DVT in my leg which then traveled to both lungs. I am lucky to be here to talk about it. At that time many tests were done and a diagnosis was given. It's Coumadin forever now!

My younger sister was given the diagnosis back in the early 1970's. She was 10 years old. She was in Massachusetts General Hospital for a long period of time . Things were very different in those days. Apparently they did not think to test myself and my older sister to see if we had the gene or whatever causes the deficiency.

ANYHOO, our older sister( we are all less than 2 years apart in age ) was tested when I was diagnosed and she does not have the clotting problem. Lucky her !

It is a huge inconvenience to have to go for blood work but, it's what we need to do.

Yes, many foods can interact with the blood thinner but, only when eaten in large amounts. If you keep yourself on a steady diet you should have no problem. I've had problems when dieting but, the doctor just adjusts the dose and does blood tests more often . No big deal just a pain in the butt!

Cindy Shop­per1292720452.8710677 PostsRegistered 11/14/2007

The biggest reason is immobility.

sparkygirl1292740661.3134626 PostsRegistered 10/2/2006

Many conditions can cause blood clots...genetic factors, the conditions of the veins, and also some conditions like cancer can make blood "hypercoaguable."

This was the case with my dad. He had prostate cancer and had clots in his legs three times.

Dislodged clots can travel to the lung and kill you. I hope your friend will take this seriously, and follow her doctor's advice, even if that means Coumadin. This is a serious, but very common condition, and she should be fine if she takes her medicine and gets her blood checked routinely.

CallmeTESS1292754322.29723 PostsRegistered 10/24/2010

I do not know this persons age but , birth control pills can cause them . I've had a few issues with them from the pill. Tess

Page 1 of 1