Meant for Mom(SM)
169 Members and 11930 Guests Online

Among Friends

Soc. Sec. Disability - anyone get it immediately?

Started 1267465427 in Among Friends | Last reply 1273938772.173 by Rap2
Just curious -- lots of ladies on here with health issues.
I'm wondering if any of you who are on Social Security Disability (not just disabled and not getting it) have ever received it without using an attorney, and having to file then refile a time or two?
My friend's coming over today for a conf. call with SSA, her and myself as she begins the application process. She and I have both worked for attorneys who handled disability claims, and of course, we only saw clients who had been denied initially, even if it was a slam dunk case with the lawyer on it.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
kamisga1267465851683 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Orange County, Ca.
It seems to be pretty standard to be turned down the first time around.
My husband was injured on the job and was disabled due to a serious back injury. He was turned down and we had to hire an attorney to get his. Even with the attorney it took many months for him to finally get it. SS is awful to deal with on your own.
I wish you luck if you're getting ready to file. I can file this year but avoiding it just because of the hassle.
--
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love,and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Anonymous

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love,and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

My Sky1267477953265 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
I am on Social Security Disability and I was denied the first time around. I was represented by Allsup, which was paid for by my employer. The Allsup rep told me that it is extremely common to be denied on the first try. The good thing is that if you are later approved, you are paid retroactively to the time you first applied.

Me-Mee1267478343232 PostsRegistered 12/21/2007
I've never ever heard of even very needy getting it the first time-always must reapply-but did not use lawyer

gisselle23312674789413371 PostsRegistered 3/24/2006
No it is not "standard" to be turned down. I worked for SSA in the early 80's, I was a medical reviewer. I still have friends who work for SSA as claims reps. Not much has changed. The problem is that the standard for proving disability is very high. It was never intended for a population who wants to collect because they have fibro or a "bad back" or sore feet. It was intended for catastrophic illnesses and disablilites that were a given. My sister had a ruptured brain aneurysm, it left her paralyzed on her left side. Her claim was approved in about a week. A family friend suffered brain damage after a heart attack, he now experiences about 20 seizures a day and has partial amnesia. His claim was approved in about 2 weeks, while he was still in rehab. On the other hand, my best friend has "nerve damage" (cause unknown) and pain in her arms. She saw dozens of doctors and had dozens of tests and no cause could be found for her pain. The pain, of course, is subjective. Oh, yeah. The pain prevents her from working but she goes shopping and to church and she takes vacations and she makes crafts. But she says she can't work. She had to go through the entire appeals process and eventuall she hired an attorney who specialized in SSA law and she got her disability benefits. We're going to Las Vegas in June. She won't be in too much pain for that. Don't get me wrong. She's not a dishonest person, she has pain. But I have no doubt that she can work with it. I do. She feels that she's entitled to disability. Those are the types of cases that drag on. Many of the people who want to "collect" simply are not disabled according to the statute. Which is permanently unable to do any type of work, not just "I was a waitress" and "I broke my foot and now it hurts when I walk too much."
--
Edited by gisselle233 at 03/01/2010 12:34 PM PST

Last edited on 3/1/2010

gisselle23312674789903371 PostsRegistered 3/24/2006
> I've never ever heard of even very needy getting it
> the first time-always must reapply-but did not use
> lawyer
Needy? SSA benefits are NOT based on need.

chprsp12674790853924 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007
My DH received it less than 3 months after filing. Actually I was the one who submitted it for him online. I think what made the difference was I listed all of his medical problems. Many people just list the problem that finally caused them to be unable to work. We also had documentation of the various medical problems. HTH.

gisselle23312674794313371 PostsRegistered 3/24/2006
> My DH received it less than 3 months after filing.
> Actually I was the one who submitted it for him
> online. I think what made the difference was I listed
> all of his medical problems. Many people just list
> the problem that finally caused them to be unable to
> work. We also had documentation of the various
> medical problems. HTH.
The quality and length of the documentation is the key to everything. You are right, people tend to submit a letter from one doctor that says "Mary's knee hurts constantly and she is unable to work". And then they wonder why their claim is denied.

sapphiregi­rl126747959710054 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005nj
> . Oh, yeah. The pain
> prevents her from working but she goes shopping and
> to church and she takes vacations and she makes
> crafts. But she says she can't work. She had to go
> through the entire appeals process and eventuall she
> hired an attorney who specialized in SSA law and she
> got her disability benefits. We're going to Las
> Vegas in June. She won't be in too much pain for
> that. Don't get me wrong. She's not a dishonest
> person, she has pain. But I have no doubt that she
> can work with it. I do. She feels that she's
> entitled to disability.
Those are the types of cases
> that drag on. Many of the people who want to
> "collect" simply are not disabled according to the
> statute. Which is permanently unable to do any type
> of work, not just "I was a waitress" and "I broke my
> foot and now it hurts when I walk too much."
She may indeed have pain but If she is permanently unable to do ANY type of work, I don't imagine she could do all that she is doing.
IMO, that is dishonest.
--
I am proud and honored to belong to Donna's ilk. ;-)

sapphiregi­rl126747966410054 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005nj
Good luck to your friend, zoologist!!
--
I am proud and honored to belong to Donna's ilk. ;-)

Helen Bach12674824152619 PostsRegistered 10/20/2009
the entire process is set up so you get discouraged and give up. There is no way a very sick person can do it, and most people get denied the 1st or 2nd time. The medical reviewer is like most working there today, skeptical and thinking those with invisible disability are lazy fakers who want to get paid for doing nothing.
maybe a person can go to church or go shopping or have fun in Vegas for an hour, and that's all they are able to do all week. I can pretend to be a normal person too, for about an hour. Read The Spoon Theory for more information

FATCATinCT12674828202515 PostsRegistered 11/18/2006
I filed for SSD about 5=7 years ago (back in the days when you actually went into the SS office and they did the paperwork for you). After we were finished the girl stated that with all I had wrong and the doctors reports I would certainly be awarded benefits. Nope, got denied. She then told me that it is pretty routine but she thought I'd be no problem and to request a hearing. After thinking about it and in speaking to my husband, I decided not to pursue it as I was awarded a full disability pension from my employer (state job) and as it was a work related disability I was awarded a pension based on 80% of my income. SSD would have lowered my state pension and i would only be taking home 700 more. I decided to leave it for those who need it.

Junebug5412674876881455 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007
I was always under the impression that SS was created for retired people.

My Sky1267488205265 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
Social Security is for retired persons.
SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) is for the disabled and working persons have the premiums subtracted from their checks every pay period.

happy hous­ewife126748933728090 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
My doctor told me to apply for SSD and I was turned down 3 weeks from the date I had on the app. I seriously doubt anyone even read my application and my doctor said they never requested any info from him.After I appealed and my doctor wrote his letter which I sent with the appeal, I was granted an expedited review and was found to be too disabled to work as a nurse and too disabled to be able to find any other work at my age.(60).
to the person who said that real disabilities are not turned down - I beg to differ -I have had some of my ICU patients spouses apply for them because they are severely ill and/or dying and had them turned down.How on earth can you say a person who is on a ventilator in ICU is not disabled? They don't even red those apps - it is a rubber stamp.

on the bay12674931671830 PostsRegistered 12/25/2009
A lawyer who just does disability claims, told me that all claims are denied the first time, that they don't even really look at claims until you get a lawyer. I know my sister-in-law has epilepsy and had many seizures a day-she has been unable to have a medication work so far-she can't drive-she was denied her first time.
My family encouraged me to apply-I would have tried to keep working if my job kept the part-time jobs but they were just going to full time -I had worked there 10 years., and wasn't able to do what I was supposed to be able to anymore.
The first time I filled out all the forms and had several doctors write letters, had all my medical records-I was denied.
The second time, on "appeal", they had me fill out more forms and go to one of their doctors. He would ask me a question like "Do you have pins and needles in your legs and feet?"-yes -all the time, He asked does it hurt to raise your arm above your head-yes (why I never blowdry). I was denied again. I got a copy of the "doctors report" and was shocked to see that every answer, he had put the opposite-"denies pins and needles,", denies pain, etc". Well, he worked for the govt. I had no reason to lie-I had many doctors reports as well.
I got a lawyer who was a nurse and only does disability claims-I already had all my records, she talked to me about 10 minutes and said I would get a letter notifying me of a hearing before a judge. I got the letter .,to appear before the judge, but before the hearing ever happened I got a letter saying the judge had reviewed my medical records and gave me a fully favorable decision. Was relieved it was over but wasn't sure if I should feel glad or wow-I must really be a basket case. The lawyer only took a minimal amount and the money was taken out of all the back pay they gave me from the time I'd stopped working.
I've worked since I was fifteen. I like to work, and miss the day-to-day contact. I also wanted that retirement party! But I guess people don't feel like Yea! You're Retired!... Oh, on disability.
I knew some friends who had disability and did a lot of things too like vacations or working at home and thought I just didn't have the energy-some of the things they did were harder than working IMO but thats not everybody. And it doesn't pay enough to live on. If you are awarded more than $700.00 or so a month, you won't get social security income (supplemental income).Its easy to judge people by seeingthem, but only each person knows how he/she feels and is able to accomplish. I would have tried to keep going til I fell on my face probably, but I'm a little obssessive compulsive too, I guess, so I'm grateful that I did get it. This was five years ago-recently got a review notice, filled it out, they sent me a letter saying they were not going to review at this time. So, who knows?
I'd still much rather feel better enough to work, even part time, but am nearing retirement age anyway. And I worked long enough to get medical care from my employer (the state), so I am very lucky. My mother always said if you have a choice between salary or benefits, take the benefits (i.e. medical insurance).
sorry for the long post and I'm afraid I'm one of those "paragraph" people:_|Never could quite get it, but I'm learning-this is my first computer and first time posting anywhere!Have I "babbled" you all to sleep yet?
Well, good-luck to your friend Zoologist-maybe you'll be able to do it the first or even second time-I had to try on my own for my own self before going to a lwayer.
--
"...But if you walk the footsteps of each other, you'll learn things you never knew, you never knew.Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind..."

"...But if you walk the footsteps of each other, you'll learn things you never knew, you never knew.Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind..."

betteb126749395914586 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
I got my DH's SSD without a lawyer. He had a stroke and has severe left sided weakness among other things. He was approved the 1st time, but,..there is a 6 month waiting period to get it for everyone, unless you are in Renal (kidney) Failure. Then the waiting period is cut to 90 days. They also cut the 2 yr wait for medicare to 90 days for Renal Failure.
If you have no income you will qualify for SSI (Suplemental Security Income) during the waiting period. You are not paid back for those waiting periods. You recieve your 1st benifit check 7 months after you are determined to have become disabled. My DH had his stroke on Jan 5th and they determined that he became disabled on that day. He got his 1st check in Aug..they don't count partial months.

"Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;" Wordsworth

zoologist12675387781745 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010
Thanks for the input, ladies.
This friend of mine and I have both worked for attorneys who handle SS disability cases, and know all about the appeal process, the hearing, etc.
We'd never, ever heard of one single person getting disability on their first filing, so I'm glad at least some have.
We both know that it's almost a rubber-stamp thing that the claim will be denied initially.
Of note -- even if she's determined to be DISABLED as of Oct. 2006, which is the last time she was able to work and the date that the SS rep on the phone with us said he'd put as her disability start date, the back-pay payments will only be for a maximum of 12 months, no more. Can't remember if that's always been the rule, I thought they'd pay longer if it was many years. But not any more.
--
Edited by zoologist at 03/02/2010 5:07 AM PST

Last edited on 3/2/2010

Helen Bach12675536002619 PostsRegistered 10/20/2009
the payments won't go back to 2006/but her Medicare might kick in sooner?

zoologist12675648731745 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010
> the payments won't go back to 2006/but her Medicare
> might kick in sooner?
Helen Bach -- good thought - I'll check on that! Thanks!!

AfghanQueen12675735072269 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Kentucky
Would you consider 15 days immediately? I filed my own online application on the SSA website using a laptop computer from my hospital bed around Oct. 28, 2009. My award letter dated Nov. 12 was mailed before I was discharged from the hospital, and when I received the notice, 3 months backpay for Sept., Oct., & Nov. had already been deposited directly to my checking account.
My medical diagnosis was Oct. 23, but I was approved with an onset date in Feb. because I was able to show by medical records that I had been unable to do even light housework since that time (probably even earlier) so I had already served my 5 month waiting period.
I'm a retired SSA technical expert who helped others file disability claims for 31 years. However, no employees in my previous office were allowed to work on my claim in any way (it was transferred to another office where the claims rep did not know me), and I knew none of the disability examiners in the Disability Determination Service. I definitely received no special treatment due to my former employment, but I certainly had an advantage in knowing how to properly complete the Disability Report Form (medical history).
Why was I approved so quickly? My illness is Stage IV lung cancer, and obviously my medical records were submitted promptly by the hospital when requested by SSA.

nolari126757473164 PostsRegistered 5/14/2007
My BIL is a former California State department head who administered disability claims. He was very upright about the handling of my claim, but he did know exactly what was required, and my claim was granted immediately (stroke and paralysis).
According to his experience, no one needs an attorney for a disability claim, unless there's something unusual about it. When claims are initially denied, it usually means that some documentation is missing.
Additionally, employees are expected to expedite claims, not deny them.
--
What you think of me is none of my business.

What you think of me is none of my business.

baby burns1268203743.8978793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

this is very interesting, i was very unhappy about having to file for disability. i was not going to pay a lawyer, so i did not, i filled out all my own papers, went to see the quack dr. they sent me too.  i filed in may and had my disability in sept., lump sum for five months. they said i had been disabled since 2002, but did not file then.  i never knew all the toubles people had, and i am glad i did not.  people look at me like i am lying, always ask what lawyer i had.  i feel sorry for all the people that get denied, that must be awful.  i was operated on 8 times in two years, and thank god everyday that i can walk, although not great, have been with a pain dr now since 2006. baby burns

Muttlvr1268680885.652608 PostsRegistered 9/18/2005

Me-Mee certainly sounds like he/she knows what they're talking about.  In my very unscientific sampling of the few friends I've had that have filed, they were all turned down on the first try.  Even ones who experience seizures, had brain injuries and such as that.  I'm sure that lots and lots of fraudulent claims are made, and that that ruins it for a lot of other people.

missyw11268683312.44331102 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

My relative gets paid a monthly income from when she was injured-can't work. (don't think it's SS). But she volunteers. If you can volunteer, you can work.

Last edited on 3/15/2010

Last edited on 3/15/2010

shimmerang­el1268698513.397293 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006

I got it after I went back the third time, most people do, I needed documents! I did not have an attorney and went back with all my medical records and test copy's, they count on people getting discusted or fed up or die, but when you are sick and need it you can not give up! Its bad enough the amount you get, this year no cost of living, its really hard! Good luck!!! Sometimes they allow you to work but you can not earn more than $7000. My husband died a month after he recieved it discusting what they do to people!

Last edited on 3/15/2010

Last edited on 3/15/2010

Last edited on 3/15/2010

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next