Give Gorgeous
18 Members and 11231 Guests Online

Among Friends

Anyone Get Painful Calf Muscles At Night Or When Sitting?

Started 1291773950.743 in Among Friends | Last reply 1292381284.287 by Irshgrl31201

My calf muscles hurt so bad at night & sometimes when I'm just sitting down. I also have RLS & I'm thinking this might be related.

Page 1 of 2
CarolynFro­mLongIsland1291774002.9372682 PostsRegistered 10/12/2006

try drinking more water...you could be dehydrated

Carolyn

shopcity1291774208.947553 PostsRegistered 6/18/2008

Also, bananas (potassium) will help also. I agree with the other poster-water is key!

Good luck!!!

"If you want me to be good you just have to ask my brain, ok?"
as said by my oldest boy!

ballyk1291774585.8574897 PostsRegistered 7/3/2006http://ballyk.shutterfly.com/

I'm on my feet at least six hours a day at work and have terrible pains in my legs.

I drink a lot of water so don't think it's dehydration but can't stand bananas. I was watching a show last week about all the new "health" products. One of them was coconut water with potassium and electrolytes. I ordered some and am going to give it a try.

skypie1291775000.6431539 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006

Hildegard I don't want to frighten you but when I asked my doctor why he was checking my calves he asked me if they hurt I asked why he said it could be a blood clot. You probably should see your doctor the other ladies said you might be lacking something so it could be that.

Hildegarde­ Withers1291776084.93723379 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

Thanks for all your suggestions.

And I'll ask my doctor about it possibly being a blood clot. I hope not!

My husband just massaged my calves & they feel so much better.

Marp1291777118.23713480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC
On 12/7/2010 ballyk said:

I'm on my feet at least six hours a day at work and have terrible pains in my legs.

I drink a lot of water so don't think it's dehydration but can't stand bananas. I was watching a show last week about all the new "health" products. One of them was coconut water with potassium and electrolytes. I ordered some and am going to give it a try.

BallyK,

How do you feel about V-8 or plain tomato juice? Either would be as effective as bananas. I personally swear by V-8.

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

ArmoBuyer1291778612.34392 PostsRegistered 10/4/2010

Yes to water. Yes to potassium; I eat a banana every day. I work at my computer a lot and I think that compounds the problem. Try to remember to get up frequently. If you happen to be on a statin drug, they tend to cause muscle pain. In any event, be sure to consult with your Doc.

ROMARY1291779076.4517071 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Drink milk. You might need liquids for dehydration and calcium; hence, drink milk. Eating a banana a day wouldn't hurt. A year and a half ago, I had a problem with leg cramps during the night. Drinking a few glasses of milk a day solved my problem. p.s. I drink lactose- free 2% milk.

Last edited on 12/7/2010

Last edited on 12/7/2010

Yellow Rose

kittysexton1291779239.6432118 PostsRegistered 10/25/2010

Definitely try potassium rich foods like bananas or similar. Next time you see the dr have an electrolyte panel done to see what your potassium level is.

go2girl1291779250.4686 PostsRegistered 8/4/2009

a friend was advised to drink sport drinks that have electrolytes in them to solve her restless and painful legs. water may not be enough if you are dehydrated you may need the minerals that the sport drinks may offer. it has worked successfully for my friend.

namealread­ytaken1291779374.3037741 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 12/7/2010 Hildegarde Withers said:

Thanks for all your suggestions.

And I'll ask my doctor about it possibly being a blood clot. I hope not!

My husband just massaged my calves & they feel so much better.

If it is a blood clot, massaging your calves might be the single worst thing you could do even though it feels the best. This can push the clot into the lungs. Please see a doctor before fooling around with this. Is it in the back of the leg beneath the knee completely or is it somewhat circumferential, because deep clots are confined to the back behind and below the knee area. Otherwise, it could be superficial phlebitis, leg cramps from overuse, potassium insufficiency or a multitude of other things.

You did not mention if you had tried the ivory soap bar in the bed yet.

Last edited on 12/7/2010

Last edited on 12/7/2010

Last edited on 12/7/2010

Shelbelle1291813107.41334782 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Try drinking V-8, but the Low Sodium one, it is loaded with potassium. Try a supplement from a vitamin site with Diosmin, this is great for leg health, promotes circulation in the legs, read up on it. For example, it is in the Suzanne Somers leg supplements and the Lessman supplement for vein health. Also, in many less expensive options.

violann1291819057.2912758 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004

Please see your doctor soon! There are many things that can cause this, some very serious, some not. You have to find out.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

misspammie1291819892.9312472 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010now in Virginia

Hilde, don't know if this has been mentioned, but I vow by Legatrin,,,,,does a world of good for night leg cramps and also helps you sleep, very gently,,,,Legatrin PM. Worth a try.

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

kocia1291820893.393188 PostsRegistered 11/26/2007

It is also a sign of Magnesium deficency. Try it for about 2-3 weeks, at least 500 mg.

wagirl1291821103.8034666 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

Try a glass of tonic water. Add some lemon or lime or whatever in it. I have a friend that has this problem and thats what he does. Something about the quinine in it helps.

skypie1291823324.091539 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006

Another thing that happen to me I had to use stirups and got cramps the nurse told me to take a vitamin magnesium with calcium and zinc which I do I never get cramps at night or day anymore take it at supper time and I buy them in Walmart. You have a lot of good information but maybe you should see the doctor first.

Last edited on 12/8/2010

Last edited on 12/8/2010

cindychats1291831639.78717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

Are your legs swollen or red or warm to the touch in the calf area? Since folks mentioned clots just thought I'd throw out some other symptoms of clots you may or may not have if it were a clot. True you don't want to message if it were a clot, you could dislodge it and it could go to your lung or heart or brain.

Do both legs hurt? Does it feel more like a muscle cramp?

Kinda hard for us to know online.

Mine always feel like they have a tight cramp in them. I figure it is related to my fibromyalgia.But I mean mine always feel this way every day, for months now. I just add to my list of other frustrating painful sensations in my body. Aches, dull pains, stabbing pains, tingling, twitchin, stinging, burning, sharp pains, deep intense pains................prickly creepy crawlies............miserble hurt all over and skin hurts...... I think this is the strangest stuff. I find it puzzling to say the least. Not meaning to whine, just saying I find this stuff so totally wierd. Just weird. weird weird weird.

Last edited on 12/8/2010

Last edited on 12/8/2010

ProudMa1291833427.653347 PostsRegistered 2/1/2010

Hi

As stated by others....See your Doctor. Don't delay. If it is nothing serious (clot) then perhaps you can try what i have used for years. DH & I work out a lot, he competes in weight lifting, and for cramps they all swallow a teaspoon of yellow mustard! I know sounds weird, but it works instantly. Plain old yellow mustard, not the fancy Dijon kind. If you are familiar with the Peoples Pharmacy, this is a much touted cure there, along with Gin soaked golden raisins for arthritis pain.

MsLomo1292282025.72402 PostsRegistered 4/18/2008Atlanta

My doctor told me to have a glass of orange juice for the potassium.

hckynut1292299921.76319714 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska
Hildegarde­ Withers:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Lack of or low potassium levels could be part of the problem. Woman have this problem a lot more than men, and a lot of it is related to the type of footwear worn::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Not too many men, at least the ones I know, wear high heeled shoes. When ever the heel of your foot is higher than your toes, your calf muscles are contracted(tightened), thus over time become shorter in length.:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Once they have shortened and you go home and take off your shoes, and especially if you go barefooted, your heel is now even with your toes, thus your calf muscles are trying to return to their normal length. If they have been shortened over time, the will no longer stretch as far as necessary. And when this happens the muscles either go into spasm(cramps)or even have minute' tears in the muscle/tendon or even the ligament, and that is never good.:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Most anyone that has competed in middle or long distance running(over 30 miles per week training), can tell you how important it is to always stretch the calf muscles. These muscles, along with those of your forearms, have very little stretch to begin with, thus they are more prone to problems if they are abused.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::If you've ever stood on a ladder step and let your heel drop down and leave only your toes on the ladder step, you will feel your calf muscles stretching. Many men have this calf problem after spending hours on a ladder,which is not in their ordinary occupation. When the heel is lower than the toes, the calf muscles are stretching, and they will reach their max length of their conditioning, and after that it's either spasms(cramps)or a possible hairline tear.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::I know this belongs over on the Exercise and Fitness Forum, but I decided to visit this forum and could not keep myself from replying to this thread. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Many offer unusual remedies, like putting a bar of (a certain brand of soap, don't remember the brand) under your your top sheet while you sleep. Hey, this may work so I am not knocking any of these remedies. My only intents is to give you the physiology of how muscles work together as a unit along with the connected tendons and ligaments.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::I hope you can find relief it these are full blown spasms. I can also tell you what is the best thing to do when they do spasm or cramp and completely lock up. I'll save that for another time, or you could always venture over to the Exercise and Fitness Forum and post a thread there. ::::::::::::::::::::Nice talking with you,

hckynut(john)

SophiaMarie1292300050.6676732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010

A bar of Ivory soap underneath your sheet at the foot of the bed. I can't say enough about this, so I won't say anything..... Try it - it certainly can't hurt.....

Rarity1292304056.081791 PostsRegistered 10/19/2005

I know someone who puts Ivory soap under the sheet and it works for her.

I have had so many blood clots in my leg that they finally put an umbrella type thing in my large vein in my groin so the clots can't pass. Even with the clots I didn't have the pains that you seem to have.

cindychats1292315412.05317559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

John, you have a remedy for those times I have a leg cramp that makes me scream and jump off the bed onto the floor in the middle of the nite? LOL? I mean besides me hollering "honey, honey, my leg, my leg!"

hckynut1292345052.5619714 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

Rarity

I've had Lung Blood Clots(PE) on 2 different occasions. Over 80% of the time these clots are not found until an "autopsy", thus you can see most do not live through these episodes.

I have the same type of filter that you have which is placed in the "largest vein in your body", which is called the Vena Cava. The filter which we both have is the Greenfield Vena Cava Filter. This procedure is pretty simialar to the Stent Angioplasy procedures I had during my 2 heart attacks The entry area is similar except the Vena Cava is a vein, and of course the heart attack procedure was a major heart artery.

I like watching all of these procedures as they are just fascinating to me what they can now do in the medical field to save people's lives. The Vena Cava Filter installation was not very involved and seemed pretty simple for the doctor and his assistants to complete.

I had mine installed many years ago after my 2nd round with PE. If you have had this put in I am assuming your must also be on a blood thinner, Coumadin(Warfarin). I know by my experiences with the PE and taking Coumadin, that my INR/ProTime blood levels had to be monitored regulary and often.

If those blood numbers went too far 1 direction or the other, I could pretty much feel it before I even had the blood draw. For years I had to go into the hospital at least 3 days a week to have a full blood draw to check my INR/ProTime levels. There were months at a time where I had to go 7 days a week and the doctor would call me back every single day and tell me how many "milligrams" of Coumadin to take that night.

Veinous and/or Arterial leg clots are much different than a leg calf spasm(cramp), and a whole different type of pain. While a calf spasm is 100 times more painful than most leg blood clots, they are not something that usually kills people. Many that have them think they are dying from the pain, but this problem is usually something that can be fixed, or at least minimized by doing things conducive to preventing them.

hckynut(john)

Page 1 of 2