Maxi Dresses
127 Members and 9672 Guests Online

Among Friends

Receptionist at a car dealership?

Started 1291141692.07 in Among Friends | Last reply 1291330624.613 by Ellie0714

Just wondering if anyone has insight on this kind of job. I am retired and looking for something that is not extremely demanding on a part-time basis. There is an opening at one of our larger dealerships. Would I be bored out of my mind?

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

Page 1 of 2
Sooner1291141937.9813896 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The receptionist at my car dealer's is an older lady and she is always immaculately dressed and looks great. She is a doll, and chats with you while you wait, asks if you need anything, etc. All of the sales staff seems to like and respect her, and to me, she has and does a great job.

colson1291142041.8277428 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast

I think this is great -- jump on it!!! You can always bring reading material or a laptop if there is downtime!!

game-on1291142067.423163 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007

You might enjoy yourself very much! Many people come thru the door of a dealership. Your greeting would make them feel welcome. It could be a way to feel useful and enjoy life a little. I am sure there would be slow days but that might be when you volunteer to clean out file cabinets or something ....whatever might lighten their load. I worked in a real estate office years ago...it was FUN!

csv3201291142067.9136724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

OP is it full time or part time?

Depends what you did in your career when you were working.

Personally, I would be bored as a receptionist in a car dealership.

Think about the hours, too, evenings, weekends, Christmas eve day, day after thanksgiving, etc. etc. etc.

Nellie B1291142608.1572692 PostsRegistered 4/11/2009

Go{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

cinebee1291142637.0336365 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007
On 11/30/2010 mj198 said:

Think about the hours, too, evenings, weekends, Christmas eve day, day after thanksgiving, etc. etc. etc.

I was administrative staff at a university and for the last eight years I worked directly for the Dean of a college. It was quite challenging and stressful. I definitely don't want that again but the thought of just sitting at a desk staring into space is not very attractive, either! I also just found out the hours are 1-7 M-F and 9-6 on Sat., which is actually full-time hours. I just don't know about that..........

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

caligrl1291142641.7479049 PostsRegistered 7/17/2008

I think it would be fun!

di-mc1291142824.6077051 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

No, you would not be bored. You would either want to commit murder or you'd be a candidate for the local mental health clinic. I'm not kidding!

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

4KICKS1291142968.0631977 PostsRegistered 11/11/2006Sunny AZ

Why not try it? Geez, you can always quit if you don't like it. A job with NO aggravation is no job at all.

People seldom change.
They just get better at what they do.

cinebee1291143136.1536365 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007
On 11/30/2010 di-mc said:

No, you would not be bored. You would either want to commit murder or you'd be a candidate for the local mental health clinic. I'm not kidding!

{#emotions_dlg.lol} {#emotions_dlg.lol} Hey I felt that way at my last real job so I already have experience!

-Alfred A. Montapert

csv3201291143449.396724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007
On 11/30/2010 cinebee said:
On 11/30/2010 mj198 said:

I was administrative staff at a university and for the last eight years I worked directly for the Dean of a college. It was quite challenging and stressful. I definitely don't want that again but the thought of just sitting at a desk staring into space is not very attractive, either! I also just found out the hours are 1-7 M-F and 9-6 on Sat., which is actually full-time hours. I just don't know about that..........

SIX days a week, and more than likely at minimum wage? I'd scratch it.

4KICKS1291144427.2571977 PostsRegistered 11/11/2006Sunny AZ

I think I would offer to do it 3 or 4 days and split it with someone else who wanted part-time work. You probably do not need benefits, right?

Those hours do NOT sound good to me.

People seldom change.
They just get better at what they do.

ennui1291144648.10719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

How large is the dealership? It might be more challenging than you expect.

I'm not sure about a six-day work schedule.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

shamalamad­ingdong51291144816.3533313 PostsRegistered 2/12/2008
I personally would not want to work those hours after retirement. Three to four days a week would be fine but not six days a week.

These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter... I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.

colson1291144834.0237428 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast

Bored? I would be bored out there sitting at home and would rather be out helping the guys down at the car dealership. You might even learn something about cars -- hey, maybe even learn how to sell them! You might also hear about better jobs if you are out in the workforce. You still should have the right to use a laptop or read during stretches of no customers!!!! I would be clear on that!!!

Last edited on 11/30/2010

merrytime1291144853.653625 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009n.c.

No, you would not be bored.

I was the finance manager for a large, fast paced dealership. A wonderful lady (55 year old, retired) became our receptionist as she was bored staying home. She was a true asset to our business, professional, could converse with many on any level. She made $14 per hour and that was 11 years ago. Her hours were 9-5, Monday - Friday. We had a part time receptionist for night and Saturdays. This woman had worked at a face pace work environment before joining our staff. Very rarely could she be bored unless we had a big snow/ice storm.

Yes, she started out @ $9 per hour, but was so good we'd never want to lose her. Within 2 years she was up to the $14 per hour. No telling what she is making now, if she is still there. She loved her job and we loved her.

Deciding on any part time job is up to the individual as she/he only knows how much work time they have to give or even to just get back into the main work stream and be with interesting people.

Good luck in making your decision.

BouvierLady1291155828.317809 PostsRegistered 9/3/2006

I'm afraid I've got to agree with this, but it depends on the dealership. I worked in the business office of dealerships for 30 years. I've seen receptionists who were fabulous, and some that weren't worth 2 cents! I think the biggest part of the workload in this position is the phone work. You will have crazy, angry calls from unhappy service customers to deal with, especially if they have to wait on hold to get through to that department. And I can tell you, they will ALWAYS have to wait on hold. Remember that even the best dealerships will have unhappy customers when their car doesn't work. You will also spend much time chasing salespeople who don't return phone calls, and if you have on-site owners like ones I used to work for, you will spend lots of time screening calls and making excuses.

All this being said, it's like any other job with ups and downs. I'm sure you'll meet some nice people and maybe even get a little bored at slow times. If you feel you can deal with the phone stress, no reason not to give it a try. You can always leave if it's too much for you.

BTW, the hours you mentioned are not normal hours for what they call part-time receptionist. Usually they are from 4 or 5pm - 7 or 8 M-F and all day Saturday.

Princess A­nastasia1291157468.337484 PostsRegistered 3/5/2010

Right after high school I had a full-time job and a part-time job. The part-time job was being a receptionist at night and on Saturday at a car dealership. You meet all sorts of people. Not sure why some of you are telling the OP she would be bored. If the car dealership is on the ball, they'll keep her busy.

The office staff had overflow work for me to do, obviously I answered phones, I helped people who walked in, helped the salespeople with whatever they needed. I was always busy. Bored? Never.

BonnieBelle1291157645.07718396 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

That would be my dream job. I love cars. I would be in heaven working at BMW or Mercedes.

Schnapside­en1291158169.6831257 PostsRegistered 5/19/2006
On 11/30/2010 BouvierLady said:

I'm afraid I've got to agree with this, but it depends on the dealership. I worked in the business office of dealerships for 30 years. I've seen receptionists who were fabulous, and some that weren't worth 2 cents! I think the biggest part of the workload in this position is the phone work. You will have crazy, angry calls from unhappy service customers to deal with, especially if they have to wait on hold to get through to that department. And I can tell you, they will ALWAYS have to wait on hold. Remember that even the best dealerships will have unhappy customers when their car doesn't work. You will also spend much time chasing salespeople who don't return phone calls, and if you have on-site owners like ones I used to work for, you will spend lots of time screening calls and making excuses.

All this being said, it's like any other job with ups and downs. I'm sure you'll meet some nice people and maybe even get a little bored at slow times. If you feel you can deal with the phone stress, no reason not to give it a try. You can always leave if it's too much for you.

BTW, the hours you mentioned are not normal hours for what they call part-time receptionist. Usually they are from 4 or 5pm - 7 or 8 M-F and all day Saturday.

Why discourage her? Good dealerships with good customer service ratings teach people who to deal with angry customers. Most service calls are referred to service. People with good people skills can work in many environments. People just want reassurance that their problems will be dealt with. It the dealership doesn't put CUSTOMER SATISFACTION as No. 1, there is little the receptionist can do to change it's image.

What brands did you work for?

Idacat1291224089.4274706 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

Retirement is time for having at least a little time for yourself, your family, your hobbies, etc.

I've been retired for three years and did not work at all for the first year. Then I got a one day a week job in the pathology department at the local hospital. Although I often work more than one day a week when someone is on vacation, etc., it is balanced by 10 day or two week stretches during which I don't work at all, and, if for some reason I WANT to work more, I just let them know before they do the schedule, same if I am going out of town, just let them know before that schedule is posted.

That's part time, the hours you would be required to work are not, and, they are hours (the dinner hour, Saturdays) when I personally most want to be home with my husband.

This is just not a good idea if you want to do anything other than work during your retirement.

Just let them know the hours are too much. If I were you, doing just Saturdays would be a good part time schedule for a retired person.

I also don't know how old you are, if you have reached SS full retirement age. If not, and you work so many hours, you may well end up having to pay half of what you make back to Social Security.

BouvierLady1291235531.82809 PostsRegistered 9/3/2006
On 11/30/2010 minoulovesblue said:
On 11/30/2010 BouvierLady said:

Why discourage her? Good dealerships with good customer service ratings teach people who to deal with angry customers. Most service calls are referred to service. People with good people skills can work in many environments. People just want reassurance that their problems will be dealt with. It the dealership doesn't put CUSTOMER SATISFACTION as No. 1, there is little the receptionist can do to change it's image.

What brands did you work for?

I'm really not trying to discourage the O/P, just pointing out what I found to be the reality in the 2 dealerships I worked for. The O/P will really not know what goes on at that particular store until she's "inside". I agree that with good people skills, she will have no problems with the work. The question is whether she would want the stress.

All dealerships claim that customer satisfaction is #1, but in reality they are only as good as the person you deal with. Service complaints are referred to service, but when that department is busy and calls get backed up, customers hang up, call back and blast the receptionist. Both places I worked did have issues with poor management, and that compounds the difficulty of a receptionists job. And I worked both low and high end lines - Chevrolet and then BMW/Ferrari/Maserati. JMO, but I have always found that the more expensive the car, the harder the customer is to deal with - somewhat understandable of course, if they spend $500,000.00 on a car it had better be perfect.

It's like any other job, you don't really know what you've got until you're in there. If the O/P goes for the job, I wish her success!

cinebee1291253723.516365 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007
On 12/1/2010 Idacat said:

That's part time, the hours you would be required to work are not, and, they are hours (the dinner hour, Saturdays) when I personally most want to be home with my husband.

This is just not a good idea if you want to do anything other than work during your retirement.

Just let them know the hours are too much. If I were you, doing just Saturdays would be a good part time schedule for a retired person.

I also don't know how old you are, if you have reached SS full retirement age. If not, and you work so many hours, you may well end up having to pay half of what you make back to Social Security.

My thoughts exactly, Ida. I may go talk to them tomorrow but unless they can reduce the hours I'm not taking it. Otherwise, the only free time I would really have would be Sundays. I used to get fed up with 5 day weeks - this would be six. Oh, and I'm a long way from SS age - only 53. And if the job was right I would actually even consider full-time, but it has to be something I WANT to do.

-Alfred A. Montapert

Zoologist1291256526.9975971 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

All of the car places around here have retired ladies in those positions. Less distracting to the salesmen, and their wives aren't as insecure, I'm told by one of the dealership owners.

cinebee1291326208.556365 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007
On 12/1/2010 Zoologist said:

All of the car places around here have retired ladies in those positions. Less distracting to the salesmen, and their wives aren't as insecure, I'm told by one of the dealership owners.

LOL well thank you for the compliment! I'm not taking the job. And BTW they seem to have younger women in "those positions" around here so the salesmen's wives must be more secure. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

-Alfred A. Montapert

Page 1 of 2