Creede Silver Sale
129 Members and 12869 Guests Online

All About Shoes

Post Bunion Surgery Shoes

Started 1329999783.917 in All About Shoes | Last reply 1330478481.987 by UpTooEarly

I'm recovering from bunion surgery on the left foot and am scheduled for the right foot next week. I had/have bunions on the big toes and pinky toes. I plan to ask the doctor this as well, but for those of you in the know....what kinds of shoes should buy so that this never happens again! I already plan to stick to leather, never high heels, never flats. I love dansko and sanita due to the arch support. But what about some of the cute Clarks and Aerosoles?

Anyone been there?

Page 1 of 1
violann1330089117.9312564 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
Bet you'll get a recommendation to buy a pair of Birks sandals to wear at least for your recovery.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

StellaDiva1330090871.871134 PostsRegistered 10/15/2011
It's genetics that causes bunions, not shoes. But always wear ones that fit properly. Most peoole buy too small and narrow. Pain is not an option.

little mis­s sunshine1330092195.12434 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006

I had the surgery many years ago and my shoe size actually changed. I can no longer buy shoes at shoe stores and/or dept stores. I shop Zappos or specialized shoe stores. I never wear any heels highter than 2". I like Finn Comfort, Merrill, Berkis, and any other comfort type shoe. I do long for the "stylish" shoes but have to pass them up. The pain is not worth it. I do pay more $$ for my shoes now, but my feet are worth it. Try Zappos and read the reviews on the type of shoe you're considering to purchase. They're very helpful. I have to disagree that genetics are the cause. When you put your foot at an angle contrary to the natural position of your foot, you're creating problems. For those of you wearing 4"+ high heels, you will eventually pay the price down the road. I've seen many many of my friends and others who thought that sexy high heels were the way to go. Yes, they all have foot problems.

Last edited on 2/24/2012

Last edited on 2/24/2012

Vamp1330092582.42311408 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007
On 2/24/2012 violann said: Bet you'll get a recommendation to buy a pair of Birks sandals to wear at least for your recovery.

Yep. My mom had bunion surgery about a year ago & wears a lot of Birkenstocks,. She started wearing them when she had a bunion because regular shoes just became too uncomfortable. Now that she no longer has a bunion, she continues to wear them because they are so roomy in the toe area. I have a high arch and refuse to wear any shoes that don't have arch support, and Birkis pass my test.

Last edited on 2/24/2012

Last edited on 2/24/2012

StellaDiva1330117298.931134 PostsRegistered 10/15/2011
On 2/24/2012 little miss sunshine said:

I had the surgery many years ago and my shoe size actually changed. I can no longer buy shoes at shoe stores and/or dept stores. I shop Zappos or specialized shoe stores. I never wear any heels highter than 2". I like Finn Comfort, Merrill, Berkis, and any other comfort type shoe. I do long for the "stylish" shoes but have to pass them up. The pain is not worth it. I do pay more $$ for my shoes now, but my feet are worth it. Try Zappos and read the reviews on the type of shoe you're considering to purchase. They're very helpful. I have to disagree that genetics are the cause. When you put your foot at an angle contrary to the natural position of your foot, you're creating problems. For those of you wearing 4"+ high heels, you will eventually pay the price down the road. I've seen many many of my friends and others who thought that sexy high heels were the way to go. Yes, they all have foot problems.

Last edited on 2/24/2012

Can't argue that, but most the women in their families probably have foot problems. Because they have a genetic prediposition to foot problems! There are women who wear the same shoes and never have a problem because their simply started out with better feet (and maybe had subtle differences in habits).

No surgeon is going to tell you to never wear heels again. I had surgery 15 years ago, wear heels with little issues. What I did develop is bursitis (not on the big toe) which, guess what, prediposition to that is hereditary! My mother had the same problem. But the joints themselves are fine after 15 years.

ETA: Actually, I do remember my surgeon telling me not to wear the same style shoe everyday, but I think that had to do with the achilles tendon and potential foot issues from that (i.e. shortening).

Last edited on 2/24/2012

Last edited on 2/24/2012

QVCdebt1330170235.0074578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York

After having 3 bunions and 2 neuromas removed on both feet about 10 years ago, I found wearing wider shoes helped out. No more of the narrow type shoes. I only buy shoes that have mre of a square toe, rather than round or pointy. I have found brands like BOC, White Mountain, Aerosoles, Ryka, and believe it or not, many Payless Shoes to be comfortable and workable for me. I also tend to buy some shoes in wide widths if they feel tight. I am not a Birkie person, so they were not an option for me!

Just be patient and prepare for your feet to be swollen for quite a few months. Luckily, the warmer weather is coming up, so you can wear open shoes, slides and sandals. Try not to buy or wear very strappy shoes, as they may feel tight over the areas where you had the surgery.

Feel better!

UpTooEarly1330170964.25853 PostsRegistered 1/18/2011
On 2/24/2012 Vamp said:
On 2/24/2012 violann said: Bet you'll get a recommendation to buy a pair of Birks sandals to wear at least for your recovery.

Yep. My mom had bunion surgery about a year ago & wears a lot of Birkenstocks,. She started wearing them when she had a bunion because regular shoes just became too uncomfortable. Now that she no longer has a bunion, she continues to wear them because they are so roomy in the toe area. I have a high arch and refuse to wear any shoes that don't have arch support, and Birkis pass my test.

Last edited on 2/24/2012f

This is very helpful b/c I need structured arches as well, to prevent heel pain. I was wearing danskos most of the time pre-surgery. I had recently decided that no cute shoe was worth the general foot pain of unstructured shoes. I put danskos on and not only did my feet feel bettter, but my lower legs and knees! Too bad I didn't figure that out about 5 years ago, as my bunions really developed mostly in the past 5 years or so I think.

I do think there may be a genetic disposition for bunions. In my case, both my parents, and me, have wide, sort of "triangular" shaped feet adn so I always had trouble with blisters and such at the big toe joint. But I did not notice a marked worsening and deformity of the joints (big toes and little toes!) until I went back to work several years ago and was wearing heels more often. Of course, I had also been running more than ever the past few years which much cause a lot of stress too. In any case, I'm on the mend now.

Not sure when I'll even be able to buy shoes. But I'll definitely try the birkis out.

thanks, everyone!

UpTooEarly1330171242.857853 PostsRegistered 1/18/2011
On 2/25/2012 QVCdebt said:

After having 3 bunions and 2 neuromas removed on both feet about 10 years ago, I found wearing wider shoes helped out. No more of the narrow type shoes. I only buy shoes that have mre of a square toe, rather than round or pointy. I have found brands like BOC, White Mountain, Aerosoles, Ryka, and believe it or not, many Payless Shoes to be comfortable and workable for me. I also tend to buy some shoes in wide widths if they feel tight. I am not a Birkie person, so they were not an option for me!

Just be patient and prepare for your feet to be swollen for quite a few months. Luckily, the warmer weather is coming up, so you can wear open shoes, slides and sandals. Try not to buy or wear very strappy shoes, as they may feel tight over the areas where you had the surgery.

Feel better!

Thank you. I do plan to purchase only shoes with roomy toe boxes. I've found in the past that buying "wide" shoes doesn't help much...then teh shoes are too big overall it seems. But then, I was always pretty cheap with shoe money until recently.

I'm not a big fan of sandals of any kind, so I would look for mostly closed birkis or whatever brand. I love clogs and MaryJanes.

UpTooEarly1330171243.51853 PostsRegistered 1/18/2011
On 2/25/2012 QVCdebt said:

Feel better!

Thank you. I do plan to purchase only shoes with roomy toe boxes. I've found in the past that buying "wide" shoes doesn't help much...then teh shoes are too big overall it seems. But then, I was always pretty cheap with shoe money until recently.

I'm not a big fan of sandals of any kind, so I would look for mostly closed birkis or whatever brand. I love clogs and MaryJanes.

Knitgirly1330173445.531718 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 2/24/2012 StellaDiva said: It's genetics that causes bunions, not shoes. But always wear ones that fit properly. Most peoole buy too small and narrow. Pain is not an option.

Well, genetics can contribute ( iknow a young man who had to have the surgery). But absolutely, shoving feet into pointy high heels adds pressure to the toes and if done repeatedly over time- certainly will cause/ worsen the condition.

UpTooEarly1330478481.987853 PostsRegistered 1/18/2011

I went to my second post-op appointment today. I brought my dansko clogs for approval. He said they'll be fine after the stitches are out as long as the foot will fit in them - it's still swollen. The danger, post-op, is to be putting weight on your toes, like standing on your toes or wearing high heels. It puts too mcuh pressure on that healing joint. So shoes with soles that don't bend are important. Post op at least.

Page 1 of 1