TSV(R) Preview
139 Members and 11193 Guests Online

mominohio's Activity

Re: Kids from poorer neighborhoods keep coming to trick-or-treat in mine. Do I have to give them candy

In Viewpoints 1414182467.483

On 10/24/2014 JJsMom said: On 10/24/2014 reese2 said: On 10/23/2014 mstyrion 1 said: On 10/23/2014 mominohio said: IN the town nearest us, the "less fortunate" come to the better neighborhoods by the car and van loads, and while that isn't a problem financially for most folks there, it is the ages and the attitudes that come with some of them. Many have no costume (and it isn't because they can't afford it), and many are way too old, teenagers in high school. Many are rude and a few of the older ones make trouble. They simply show up with a backpack mounted to their front side and expect cand... Continue Reading

Re: How much of your house do you decorate for the holidays?

In For the Home Talk 1414104299.217

On 10/23/2014 Anglophilly said: I have 6 large window boxes that I fill with evergreen trimmings, wisteria vines and seed pods. Freebies. Lit with Bethlehem Lights on timers. There's a large whiskey barrel by the front door with Major Wheeler Honeysuckle. I trim it to a pyramid shape. More Bethlehem Lights. Front door has a large brass doorknocker---the traditional lion's head. I add a Santa hat. (homage to the movie "Scrooge") The huge Leg Lamp goes in the front window. It's practically an antique now. Indoors, pretty minimalist. The making of "It's A Wonderful Life" book on an easel with a ... Continue Reading

Re: VPH Evergreen 3 sleigh bell with tartan bow door hangar- Nice?

In For the Home Talk 1414100813.52

I had one of these one time, and while smaller that the traditional wreath, I really loved it. I think they would be thrilled to get something different, and If they aren't, just give them my address and they can forward it to me! Continue Reading

Re: Suggestions for Christmas Tree Decorations

In For the Home Talk 1414100601.43

I would do both, and sparingly and well spaced. It sounds like it will be lovely. Please post a picture when you get it done. Continue Reading

Re: Kids from poorer neighborhoods keep coming to trick-or-treat in mine. Do I have to give them candy

In Viewpoints 1414100138.417

For all those questioning how you know which kids are being "bused in" it is pretty obvious. We are standing outside, see them get out of the cars, and in some of the neighborhoods I have lived in, the residents are all of one race, and the kids getting dropped off are very easy to spot, as they aren't the same race as the residents. Before I get a lot of flack for that statement, it is just a statement of fact. We still have lots of neighborhoods and small towns in this part of the state that are not at all multiracial, and it is very easy to spot who lives in certain areas, and who doesn't... Continue Reading

Re: Anyone else get up really early and not because of a job?

In Health & Fitness 1414097712.013

I'm an early bird. In the summer I'm up with the light, and in the darker months, I'm up between 5 and 6. I like to have a lot of my regular work in by 9 am. I like the peace and quiet of the early morning as well. I'm a stay at home mom, and my kid is out the door by 6 am most mornings, so it's me, the dog, and the cats, while hubby (who works second shift) is still sleeping. My favorite time of day, always has been. Continue Reading

Re: Your best Friend! What do you give her for Christmas?

In Fashion Talk 1414097471.173

My best friend is a single mom, and just stays one step ahead of being on welfare. I would love to shower her with gifts, as she has no family (except her son) left, and Christmas is a very lonely time for her, as she used to have a big family. But, I don't want to put her in an awkward position, feeling that she can't reciprocate, so I try to keep it simple. I usually make lots of kinds of cookies and candies, and give them done up on a really nice seasonal dish or tin. Then I try to give her a little something, one year it was a flameless candle, one year a regular candle, another time a p... Continue Reading

Re: Lisa Robertson's ivory and gold nutcrackers.

In For the Home Talk 1414096946.217

On 10/23/2014 ValuSkr said: They may be nice but I wouldn't call them nutcrackers. Other than portraying a king or soldier, they seem to have nothing in common with the traditional Christmas decoration. I wasn't really sure exactly what to call them, but that is how the picture is labeled in Lisa's blog. I keep searching for them under "nutcracker" and hope that is where they end up listing them, as other than "soldier" I wouldn't know what else to search! Continue Reading

In Viewpoints 1414096446.99

On 10/23/2014 mstyrion 1 said: On 10/23/2014 mominohio said: IN the town nearest us, the "less fortunate" come to the better neighborhoods by the car and van loads, and while that isn't a problem financially for most folks there, it is the ages and the attitudes that come with some of them. Many have no costume (and it isn't because they can't afford it), and many are way too old, teenagers in high school. Many are rude and a few of the older ones make trouble. They simply show up with a backpack mounted to their front side and expect candy with no politeness, no thank you, no nothing. So whi... Continue Reading

In Viewpoints 1414096020.26

On 10/23/2014 Buck-i-Nana said: One of my granddaughters is very tall for her age. She was 13 last year, but 5'9" tall. One lady scolded her telling her she was too old to trick or treat and refused to give her a treat, just handing out treats to her younger brother and sisters. When she came home, she was so upset and said she was never going trick or treating again. I told her to ignore her, that she'd just encountered the wi-cked witch of the east. I don't understand people being so mean to kids. My one dog LOVED Halloween. He let me dress him up as a giant black spider (he was a giant Lab... Continue Reading

Page 1 of 311
1 2 3 4 ...311Next