Guaranteed Delivery
113 Members and 17662 Guests Online

Emy's Activity

Re: Quilting help for a beginner making 3 for Christmas--Help

In For the Home Talk 1388520390.78

Sue 52, Jendoo and all of the nice ladies posting on this thread, I like the idea about the rubber gloves. Jendoo - your quilt is beautiful - loving the colors! Everyone, I'm working on another lap quilt for my cousin, who I am also close friends with. I'm about three hours from the finished work of art! (in my dreams but she'll love it) Used the adhesive spray on this one and love it. Such great advice on this thread -- Huh, I just noticed that I am writing "in pieces," and not complete sentences. I wonder why? Emily (emy) Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1388517215.857

Bumping to attract the wonderful ladies who are interested in the art of quilting Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1388517171.593

Bumping with hopes that quilters - or new to this art - will see this thread. Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1388517095.207

Hello Ladies! I finished the big quilt, but will need Sis to return it to me post winter. I need to add more quilting, per the directions on the all cotton batting I chose. Number 2 and 3 --- I got a reprieve - going to give mother-in-laws hers next week - we'd already purchased so many presents for "Eloise," that my husband suggested I wait a week. For my Mom's - her birthday is Feb. 7, so guess what we're giving her. Lessons learned: if I'm going to start Christmas projects, start by September; start with something small and then more on; come to this community and ask for help, witho... Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1387300054.737

berry50, Thank you for the hint! Sounds very good to me -- and fast. Makes sense. I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I give someone something I've made. Most of all I feel like presents that I make are gifts from my heart. Also, my sis, and the mothers really have all of the jewelry, clothes, and collectibles they want. All three can afford to buy anything they need and don't really want anything. So, although I haven't made my gifts in years (was working and didn't have the time), I'm feeling good about getting back into that good habit. Lesson learned: start quilting a few month... Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1387285144.087

LLadies and anyone wondering about the size of a lap quilt for an elderly person: 36" x 40 (or thereabouts) seems like it will work for "the mothers," who have both lost inches from their original, adult height. The original backing which had been taped to the floor isn't appealing to me at all. Very fortunately, I have enough of the tossed snowmen fabric that I can use. <<<< much happier with this. Lesson learned: if I don't like the way fabric looks at first, I'll never like the way it looks. So, up came the taped backing. That's okay. I can use the original for one or possibly ... Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1387281682.47

,,Momtodogs, Thank you for replying! So sorry about your mom's passing. Hoping that you will go back to quilting -- to me, it would be like connecting and continuing something my mom loved. Until the fabric stores open, I'm going to start cutting squares for project 2 and three -- or take a nap! Take care of you, Emily Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1387281414.467

Jen, I had to laugh out loud when I read, "desperate quilters." < can truly relate because I am feeling desperate but will feel better when I have used the walking foot successfully. From what everyone has posted, I've decided to run to Hancock fabrics, where you can buy cotton batting by the yard, off a mega long bolt. (I saw a lady buying this and asked her what it was used for, which is why I know it's there.) Husband leaving for work in about five minutes, which is when I will return to the sweatshop. Make it a great day! Emily Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1387281071.423

Harpa, Connecting squares is all I'm doing, right now. But, I worked with colors and "message" squares and really like the way the top looks. The theme of Bonnie's quilt is snowmen, which she loves. She leaves her snowmen up all winter long - with the exception of the obviously Christmas related snow people. I used VIP fabrics and think one of the artists is Valerie Robinson. I used two of her complimentary snowmen theme fabrics - one is tossed snowmen and the other is a close-up of lady and gentle men snow people, complete with hats, scarves -- all in county colors - country blue back grou... Continue Reading

In For the Home Talk 1387280085.313

Gracie, How wonderful to be working with your grandmother's fabric. Reading about this in your post warmed my heart. Thank you for all of the information. I was wondering if I could use flannel for the batting, rather than the expensive cotton batting. I did purchase maybe two yards of low depth batting for my mother and mother in laws small lap quilts. I want them to keep "the mothers" nice and warm. Both complain about how cold their legs feel, during the winter. My sister's quilt is -- opps have to measure - well, I designed it to cover me, comfortably with "drape" space. I'm just one ... Continue Reading

Page 1 of 324
1 2 3 4 ...324Next