TSV(R) Preview
14 Members and 13263 Guests Online

Sammycat1's Activity

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter

In Pet Lovers 1397609499.113

Tuesday report: I'm a little under the weather today: partly because I'm worried about ailing family; partly because I have a grueling work schedule this week; and partly because I can't sleep ... I've got a knee that needs to be replaced and a Schmoo who I miss very, very much. DH jokes that I'll bounce back, that I get tougher when trials get greater. Which leads me to today's characteristic of Schmoo that we admired so much: resilience. When we got the call early the afternoon of December 15, 2010, that Schmoo had heart failure -- and when I asked the vet which side, he said "Both. All of ... Continue Reading

In Pet Lovers 1397519338.773

Monday report: Our hearts, although heavy, are made stronger by your kind words during this toughest of weeks. Prayers go out to SLH's father and QsZoo who is under the weather, too. Our hearts also go out to Lovelyflorinda who lost her fighter cat Socrates just 3 weeks ago. As part of this week's tribute to Schmoo, in which each day's Schmoo Tale will revisit one word that characterizes the cat we were blessed to know and love, we focus on this word: Bravery. One of my favorite authors is Mark Twain, who once said, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in th... Continue Reading

Re: My cat recently started hissing at me

In Pet Lovers 1397442799.697

You need to take them to the vet for a checkup. Cats are notorious for hiding pain -- and often by the time the show it by verbalizing/hissing, they're ill. The hoarse meow -- if the older cat hasn't done this before -- also should be looked at. If the hoarseness of the meow is not her usual "meow" sound, there could be a number of medical problems. Your other cat could be hissing because she senses a problem in the older cat. Continue Reading

In Pet Lovers 1397429694.543

Sunday report: We all know how first anniversaries of the loss of someone who meant so much to us can hurt. Although I'm sad, missing Schmoo, of course, I wanted to do something special this week in the Schmoo Tales to honor him and what he meant -- and still means -- to our family. I also want to pay tribute for all of you for standing by our side throughout his care and throughout our lives with him watching over us from Heaven. So starting today through this coming Saturday, the first anniversary of his passing, each Schmoo Tale centers on one word that captures a facet of the marvelous Sc... Continue Reading

In Pet Lovers 1397342097.87

Saturday report: Even as Schmoo's health declined, he still kept the Man Cat Bod in tip-top condition...something that amazes DH and I to this day. By the time the photo below was taken, he was having bouts of audible, rapid breathing that got tougher to control; his BP was going up; his kidneys were getting worse; he developed hyperT; his heart rate was going up for the first time in years; his weight was dropping and countless other problems. But a Man Cat has priorities. He's got to look good, at all times -- all the way up until the morning he died. So here is Schmoo, painstakingly groomi... Continue Reading

Re: Experience With Hyperthyroidism in Cats?

In Pet Lovers 1397262277.677

Yes, I had a geriatric cat with borderline hyperT. He had a heart murmur that advanced to HCM and then heart failure, but he did very well. He also had kidney disease then failure eventually, but our vet kept him pretty well balanced The delicate balance of hyperT is that treatment for it can mask worsening kidneys (always a problem with cats as they age), so you need a vigilant vet who will regularly check blood values. The medicine is a tough balance; most vets start too high and then tweak the doses. The pill form is also bitter; you might want to put it in a pill pocket, or ask your docto... Continue Reading

In Pet Lovers 1397249617.277

Friday report: I appreciate your comments on Schmoo's photo from yesterday's post -- it's one of my favorites and the screensaver on my computer. It makes him look more "orange" than he was, but the resolute look in his eyes and the majesty in his pose are all him, through and through. I also appreciate you being there for me, for us. This next week, and next Saturday, are going to be rough, and at the risk of seeming silly, I know that I'm going to need the arms of the Schmoo Clan around me. I've tried to have a stiff upper lip about it, but what's the point: I miss him terribly. Even if he ... Continue Reading

In Pet Lovers 1397166059.19

Thursday report: I was cleaning today in our bedroom, a.k.a., the master throne of Schmoo, and at different times found myself sad and smiling. Smiling because this was the heart of his home, the first place he went to when we adopted him; sad because this was the last place he went to, struggling to get to me after he the stroke that took his life. His fighting spirit lives in this room almost more than any other. And between the tears that slid down my cheeks as I dusted the dresser, I looked down, and right in front of a photo of a Schmoo, there sat proof that he will always live with me: ... Continue Reading

In Pet Lovers 1397079402.51

Wednesday report: Streetangel, I feel your pain, acutely. Good thing we are all here together to help us through these very tough anniversaries. I envision Veddy, Queen of all Things, and Schmoo, Lancelot, together in Heaven, with so much in common. SLH, we're happy to hear that your Dad is now in a skilled nursing facility where you can watch his progress and visit with him. It may not be his own bed at home, but he is getting closer by the day. Which brings to today's Schmoo Tale. Early on, we discovered from our vet that the Schmoo had been knocked around by his previous owner(s), and star... Continue Reading

In Pet Lovers 1397000615.88

Tuesday report: Thank you for your kind wishes for our wedding anniversary -- and for the one tough one we have in our near future. Your support has meant so much to us, and still does. (By the way, it was our 13th anniversary. DH and I met and married well into middle age -- a first marriage for both of us. He was more than worth the wait. ) This topsy-turvy spring weather is playing havoc on my bone-on-bone knee arthritis, so said DH spoiled me by waiting on me a good bit late today, fluffing my pillows, propping up my leg and strapping on an ice bag to bring down the swelling. Which b... Continue Reading

Page 1 of 590
1 2 3 4 ...590Next