147 Members and 18858 Guests Online

Lilysmom's Activity

Re: Shade plant recs?

In In the Garden 1430858571.163

On 5/5/2015 JustJazzmom said: Why do I like Brunnera 'Jack Frost'? (1) because its not a hosta (2) the variegated leaves brighten up dark areas of the shady areas of my garden (3) those little tiny blue flowers look interesting (4) it looks great when viewed from a distance and close up (5) its not a hosta, oops, did I just say that? Jazz, yes, yes, and yes, I agree! LM Continue Reading

How did your garden survive the winter of 2015?

Last Reply by Karnerblue 1430859832.97 | Started by Lilysmom in In the Garden

And what a winter it was. In Nova Scotia, it didn't get hard until late January and then the storms came every couple of days for the rest of the winter. The snow has only disappeared this week. Last year our lake was Ice free APRIL 9th. This year, it was May 3rd. I have had a look through the gardens. There is some damage to limbs of shrubs from the weight of the snow and ice. Our Holly was hit as well as Nine Bark and hydrangeas so I have pruned those. Tall grasses left over the winter are all bent over at about 2" height. The evergreens did pretty well. One Canadian Hemlock is discolored o... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1430854662.273

MoJoV, I don't know what hardiness zone you are in ... Make sure you check that and the zone for the plants you want to plant so you know they will survive. My suggestions are for zone 5 and lower. I would like to second JustJazz's recommendation for Jack Frost. I just love that plant. I buy every one I see lol. They are all over my yard and the flowers are so gorgeous. Hope that works for your zone! Happy gardening! LM Continue Reading

Re: Wolf Hall on Masterpiece

In TV Talk 1430853831.063

On 5/5/2015 KellyS said: I am too. Every week I never want it to end! Funny last week when they thought Henry was dead. I said no, he has more wives to go through. Ha ha! :-) Kelly, exactly what I thought lol! Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1430836898.917

Some of my favorite shade plants are Ligularia (gorgeous bright yellow flower), sedum Autumn Joy and, if you get a bit of sun, Japanese Forest Grass. Love that yellow color. It is very striking. Good luck! Continue Reading

Re: Mad Men

In TV Talk 1430836311.91

Good show this week. It really showed Don at loose ends. Everyone has deserted him. No kids to connect with, they are off to school and sports, growing up pretty much without him, Betty has opened a new chapter by going back to school, the job is looking like a 'Been there, done that' affair. Even Diane has moved on to the next thing. No idea where Don ends up but I don't see him paired with any of the existing ladies. Peggy is doing what needs to be done to be successful in her era. I don't hate her for that. She has had to make a go for it on her own and her job is really the only great suc... Continue Reading

Re: Hummingbird!!!

In Among Friends 1430835007.75

Jackthebear, me too! One came to my BIL's place so they are back. Just hung two feeders. Spring has arrived! LM- PS, I am in Nova Scotia, where are you? They are a week earlier than last year. Continue Reading

Re: Take a break and rock out to this song. ;-)

In Viewpoints 1430834703.397

I saw The Who live in Saratoga, NY when I was 16. There were 50,000 people there. It was an experience of a lifetime for me, a small town girl! Thanks for the memory. LM Continue Reading

Page 1 of 282
1 2 3 4 ...282Next