Top Rated on Easy Pay
48 Members and 11506 Guests Online

Susan Louise's Activity

Re: Fall Hummingbird migration...

In In the Garden 1410486471.55

On 9/11/2014 motherinlaw said: On 9/11/2014 Susan Louise said: On 9/11/2014 motherinlaw said: My husband and I recently saw a documentary on the migration of hummingbirds.....it was fascinating! Hi motherinlaw, Was the documentary on PBS? I saw a few of those too...BBC and National Geographic put out a couple...I think a 'Nature' show on PBS had one too...not sure. They are very fascinating and fun to watch I agree! It was either PBS or Nat Geo. We were so fascinated by the program we really didn't notice where it was coming from!! :) PLEASE watch a video on youtube...google "Hummingbird ... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410486291.12

On 9/11/2014 Winifred said: Have been so disappointed last year and this year due to the lack of many Hummers. I live in Sou Cal and they have NEVER migrated - they stay all year, snow, heat, you name it. But this year and last they are super scarce. They are a tad scare for about two weeks in May, that has been all but they are just scare period now. Yes, I have zillions of flowers but they just have not been here much. I have called or visited all the experts - and NONE have an answer. Only thing I can think of is we have such overbuilding - so many homes standing empty and nature's gorgeou... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410485096.093

On 9/11/2014 Julie928 said: Susan Louise ~ I really enjoyed your post! I was just talking with a friend of mine about how many hummingbirds I've seen at our feeder recently. I typically keep the feeder up until Halloween just in case there are any stragglers, although they are usually gone by mid-October. Just in the past few days I have seen a yellow warbler, a couple American Redstarts and a Hermit Thrush in our backyard. The Hermit Thrush has been a Spring/Fall visitor for about two years now. They're all so beautiful, I consider it an honor to have them stop by my garden for a drink and s... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410484714.373

On 9/11/2014 motherinlaw said: My husband and I recently saw a documentary on the migration of hummingbirds.....it was fascinating! Hi motherinlaw, Was the documentary on PBS? I saw a few of those too...BBC and National Geographic put out a couple...I think a 'Nature' show on PBS had one too...not sure. They are very fascinating and fun to watch I agree! Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410484466.723

On 9/11/2014 blueskies said: On 9/11/2014 Susan Louise said: On 9/11/2014 blueskies said: Susan Louise , lol, I enjoyed reading your comment about the hummingbirds . Yes , it's too bad they don't learn to share ! We used to put a feeder by the kitchen window & loved seeing them visit . It had 4 feeding ports , but if a 2 nd bird showed up , omg ! Lots of fluttering ! ........Even after we stopped hanging the feeder a few years ago , every Spring they'd visit that window , looking for the feeder for a few years . They have amazing memories . Unreal . ..........enjoy the Fall weather ! The ... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410478959.193

Hi KJPA, I'm guessing you are in PA? As for the ratio of sugar water, I do the 3:1 too....everyone is different regarding that...some do the 4:1. Your place sounds lovely for hummers...maybe they don't breed in your area like us here. I suggest you look at a breeding and migration map for the Ruby-throated. For example, even though you may live in a state where they breed during the summer, your location may have vary few, where others area of the same state have higher concentrations/#'s where they will breed. A lot is just location, location, location...and they return to their same breedin... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410477448.79

On 9/11/2014 blueskies said: KJPA , wow , your yard sounds beautiful . Regarding your question , I'm wondering if your feeder solution is too sweet for them ? I make mine in a ratio of 4 parts water to 1 part sugar . Bring it to a boil for a minute , then let it cool before pouring in feeder . I only make enough to store in the fridge for about 3 days . I change the solution 3 times a week in very hot weather . I got all this info from instructions that were with the new feeder . .......btw, I found a good way to remember the ratio I read about ( 4:1 ) by thinking of a hand ....4 fingers &... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410476978.433

On 9/11/2014 geezerette said: We live in the mid-south and have hummingbirds from mid-April to mid-October (I can almost set my calendar by how punctual they are). Right now they’re getting themselves beefed up for migration as soon as our first cold snap hits (it’s still very warm here). We have approximately 50-60 birds, and they are frenetic! We used to live the in southwest and had many different varieties but not as many, and they stayed all year. There are a few that like to sit atop the feeders and try to guard their territory, but now there are just so many birds that ... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410476144.513

On 9/11/2014 Wadzlla said: Here in NW Ohio, on the shores of Lake Erie, there have been more hummers in my garden than I have seen in 25 years. I have seen up to a dozen at a time buzzing our flowers and feeders. They are nature's jewels. They are very busy today fattening up for their big trip. I hate to see them go. Hi Wadzilla, Yes, more hummers this year! A lot has to do with the weather being much better than during 2012...the huge drought. The hummers (and of coarse other birds/animals) struggled terribly and the mortality rate was very high. That year we had less than half of the us... Continue Reading

In In the Garden 1410475335.837

On 9/11/2014 blueskies said: Susan Louise , lol, I enjoyed reading your comment about the hummingbirds . Yes , it's too bad they don't learn to share ! We used to put a feeder by the kitchen window & loved seeing them visit . It had 4 feeding ports , but if a 2 nd bird showed up , omg ! Lots of fluttering ! ........Even after we stopped hanging the feeder a few years ago , every Spring they'd visit that window , looking for the feeder for a few years . They have amazing memories . Unreal . ..........enjoy the Fall weather ! The weather can't make up it's mind here yet .....Summer,Fall, Su... Continue Reading

Page 1 of 360
1 2 3 4 ...360Next