Creede Silver Sale
160 Members and 14477 Guests Online

boby's Activity

Re: Better than fries? I'm going to try these tonight, since I've never met a potato I didn't like.

In Recipe Swap 1410885316.49

Honnybrown: The next time (if there is one) instead of using knives to stabilize the potato when you're cutting it use chopsticks, preferably square ones so they don't roll around. Continue Reading

Re: Reverse Mortgages

In For the Home Talk 1410715277.343

My best friend is a financial advisor, and he doesn't recommend these at all. When I retired my employer held retirement seminars, and two more professional advisors basically said "Don't do it." The actors and politicians pitching these things like to emphasize you don't have to make regular payments. All that means is that more and more interest accrues on the unpaid principal. A lot of uninformed folks assume that you stop paying your taxes too - good way to lose your home. As other posters have already pointed out, if the market depresses and you end up short of cash to repay when you s... Continue Reading

Re: Kansas City Steaks $20 a pound?

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1410622431.12

What really bothers me about these steaks is all the junk added to them. I used to be on auto-delivery a long time ago. The list of additives makes them sound like a biology experiment. Continue Reading

Re: Pasta Sauces

In Recipe Swap 1410622213.977

ID2: I'm with you on the issue of sugar. I also don't care for sauces that go "on the cheap" by adding oils other than extra virgin, or at least some kind of olive oil. I usually make my own sauce. As far as taking the acidic edge off the sauce I grind a peeled "baby" carrot or two into the sauce. It not only adds natural sugar, it gives it a nice color too. Continue Reading

Re: does the ice cream man come around your neighborhood?

In Viewpoints 1410448787.78

Used to have one but haven't seen or heard him in a couple of years. We live on a dead end street in a rural neighborhood, and the few kids who were here when we moved in ten years ago are now in their twenties, not exactly an ice cream truck demographic. It should also be mentioned that the ice cream sold off the truck went $2 a bar or more last time I looked. You can get some high-end brands for less than that from the super 2 miles away. Continue Reading

Re: Do you use cooking oil once or do you strain it and use it another time?

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1410380046.467

For those who do deep fry, some of the new fryers (like Emeril's) allow you to drain the oil after each use. This makes it real easy to remove crumbs and other impurities, which stay behind in the basket. Then you just pour the oil back in the basket. That particular machine also tells you when the oil needs to be replaced. Adding a slice of ginger to any oil you store helps remove off odors. Continue Reading

Re: Pasta Sauces

In Recipe Swap 1410379621.67

For what its worth, real Alfredo sauce contains nothing but butter and cheese(and maybe a tiny pinch of black pepper). The thing about adding cream got started over 100 years ago when Italian immigrants began coming to America. American cheeses and cream just weren't as rich as the European types, and didn't thicken as much, so folks started adding heavy cream to thicken the dish. Now I see restaurants adding heavy cream to red and white clam sauces - yuck. Continue Reading

Re: Does anyone else use Vinegar for this?

In Viewpoints 1410360760.35

There are whole books on the many uses of vinegar. It is an excellent weed killer, and non-toxic to boot. And the smell keeps garden pests away. Continue Reading

Re: Todd English charged with drunk driving

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1410091381.55

Revoking drivers license doesn't do a blessed bit of good because most of those folks turn around and drive without a license. Even if convicted they can get a provisional license which allows them to drive back and forth to work only (that's a laugh). Sad to say jurors often have a subconscious sympathy toward the drunk driver because they know they've "been there and done that" themselves, they just didn't get caught. Continue Reading

Re: Anyone else experiencing "issues" with the reception of QVC on TV?

In Viewpoints 1410011632.7

We line in Upstate NY and haven't had any issues, but we have satellite. I would think if it was QVC per se we'd all have the same problem. Check with your cable provider. Continue Reading

Page 1 of 179
1 2 3 4 ...179Next