Just-Reduced Clearance
42 Members and 16908 Guests Online

boby's Activity

Re: Watching a show on whales, got me to wondering how many here have seen a wild

In Viewpoints 1421640003.85

I live in the Catskill Mountains in upstate NY and I've seen all kinds of small game. I've had male and female deer walk right up on my lawn, and I once had a mother bear and three cubs in my driveway. When we were in Alaska we got close enough to a whale that we could hear it breathing when it came up for air. We took a quick walking tour of an island and the boat captain got off with a double-barreled shotgun. Fortunately he didn't have to use it. Continue Reading

Re: Food Shows Need a Re-do

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1421120467.22

Those of you who are waiting for a host to spit out food and maybe gag missed the boat several years ago. I'll never forget when Bob B. went on his low-fat, low-carb diet and was presenting a deep fryer. As they broke for a commercial he said into a microphone that was a whole lot more alive than he thought "I cant believe they make me sell this artery-clogging sh*t." Continue Reading

Re: cuisinart or mr coffee?

In Coffee Talk 1420691127.093

Had both, chucked both. Another vote for Bunn. Brews 10 cups in 4 minutes. Continue Reading

Re: Julia Child

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1420607518.66

My fondest memory of Julia was when she dropped an entire pot of whatever she was cooking and just laughed and said (in so many words): Don't worry. It's PBS - nobody's watching anyway." Continue Reading

Re: Electric Pressure Cooker Problems

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1420607262.297

MushroomSoup: Had the same issue with my Wolfgang Puck Bistro electric PC. The valve on top has to be rotated to close it, and I guess all that torque loosens the nut underneath after a while. No big deal. Continue Reading

Re: Resolve to buy a USA made kitchen item in January!

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1420308485.567

If you don't mind spending $500 or so Vita-Mix is made in the USA. Continue Reading

Re: Former NY Governor Mario Cuomo Passed Away Today

In Viewpoints 1420308297.893

There was a lot of pressure on Mario to run for the Presidency, but he never was nominated as such. During the campaign season of 1991-1992 Bill Clinton dropped subtle (well, maybe not so subtle) hints that a NY Italian might have Mafia connections. I guess Mr. Cuomo didn't want to get down in that mud. Not one of Bubba's prouder moments by any means. Continue Reading

Re: $200 for a 5# prime rib roast----whhaaattt!!!!!!

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1419131333.573

Songbird: I'm with you. I have a relative who's a professional chef, and he considers prime rib little more than a thick piece of roast beef. For me its either a nice porterhouse or a bone-in rib eye. Eating prime rib out is a less-than-rewarding experience. An awful lot of restaurants cook a big slab of beef to medium rare well in advance of dinner rush, and then finish it off to order. Who wants a steak that's been sitting around half-cooked all day? Continue Reading

Re: You are being sued by the IRS.

In Viewpoints 1419130734.633

As many of the previous posters have pointed out, an answering machine with caller ID solves a lot of this garbage. Just don't pick up if you don't know who it is. Should you accidentally pick up anyway, I find that telling these clowns to meet you at the DA's office and you'll turn yourself in usually gets THEM to hang up pretty quickly. Unfortunately, a lot of these calls are made from boiler rooms in Africa and the Middle East, so all the Don't Call lists and blocking mechanisms in the world won't help, because they're outside the jurisdiction of Federal authorities. Continue Reading

Re: I don't think I've heard much before on this chef, on here.

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1414442869.903

Its kind of trendy to dump on Rachael due to the fact that she has no formal culinary training, and has said (her words) "I am manifestly unqualified for every job I've ever held." Also, some people snipe at her "30 minute" meals due to the fact that some of the ingredients are prepped in advance, which sure cuts down on cooking times. Personally I've tried some of her recipes and they work, so that's good enough for me. Same thing with Sandra due to her "trademark" semi-reliance on boxed ingredients. I don't know if I'd go as far as Anthony Bourdain did when he called her "The culinary de... Continue Reading

Page 1 of 180
1 2 3 4 ...180Next