TSV(R) Preview
13 Members and 8969 Guests Online

peachesncream's Activity

Re: Need to transition from tailored work wardrobe to retired casual....................

In Fashion Talk 1414197679.453

My last and longest job was in a conservative corporate environment. Retirement means a big change in clothing. Gradually, I whittled down my work wardrobe. I kept a couple of suits, a few dress pants and dressy tops. Those are my "serious occasion" clothes. I still need them now and then. I still shop at Talbot's and Macy's, but I buy different things. I like tailored casual wear - jeans, straight leg pants, basic sweaters, tees and tops (cotton; and blends), casual dresses, and jackets. I suggest going slowly. Start with wearing the casual clothes you already have. See if some of your car... Continue Reading

Re: Ideas to help non-cook provide for a vegetarian weekend guest?

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1414038297.98

Hummus is nice to have on hand. You can make it, but the store bought varieties are very good. Pita chips or crackers to go with it. Nuts are also nice for snacking - cashews, almonds (flavored or plain) or peanuts. Continue Reading

Re: Two BIG complaints about small stuff in lot of new cookbooks

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1413926838.147

I agree about the print in some of the new cookbooks. Way too small and often too pale. So frustrating. Some cookbooks I read as I would a novel, for enjoyment. For others I'm more interested in the recipes. Continue Reading

Re: Swiss Steak--Blast from the Past 1960s?

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1413821341.23

Swiss Steak was one of the first recipes I learned to make. I babysat a lot when I was a teenager, and I got recipes from some of the families I sat for. Swiss Steak was one of those. DH has always loved it. It can be a challenge finding round steak in the groceries these days. I was excited when I found that our Super Target carries it. Continue Reading

Re: Pumpkin chili?

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1413761809.44

We love this Turkey Pumpkin Chili recipe from Whole Foods. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/turkey-pumpkin-chili You can play around with this basic recipe, depending on how spicy you like your chili and what type of beans you prefer. We like black beans. I often bump up the chili powder. And I like to use chicken broth rather than water. For thicker chili, use less water or broth. Equally good made with lean ground beef instead of turkey. Continue Reading

Re: those of you who get your spices through the mail

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1413761526.177

Penzey's is terrific. All of our spices come from them. We're lucky that we have a Penzey's shop now (for years we didn't and I ordered from the catalogue or online). I love their customer service. I think their prices are very reasonable. I'm surprised they don't charge more, considering the freshness and quality of their spices. Continue Reading

Re: Le Creuset

In Kitchen & Food Talk 1413734792.86

It's a matter of preference. I'd much rather have beautiful, sturdy cookware than a piece of jewelry. I think we all have categories where we want "the best" and others where we'll settle for something inexpensive - or have no interest at all. Continue Reading

Re: Thanksgiving stuffing/dressing ideas

In Recipe Swap 1413734322.33

My favorite is Apricot, Almond and Apple Bread Stuffing, from the Frog Commissary Cookbook. The recipe is posted here: http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_31/2001/OCT/6676.html I use a sturdy white bread, Pepperidge Farm Country White or something of that sort. Any firm (not mushy) type of apple will work; I prefer Golden Delicious. Continue Reading

Re: I think I need a steamer...

In Fashion Talk 1413505431.203

Here's the My Little Steamer at HSN: http://www.hsn.com/products/joy-mangano-900w-my-little-steamer-and-designer-bag/7440325?variant=7440326 I do my steaming in the bathroom. There's an electric outlet, a faucet for filling up the steamer, and a counter to sit the steamer on. I hang up what I want to steam on a hanger on the shower rod (it needs to be a hanger with a twistable top, so I can turn the item so it's facing me). Then steam away. Continue Reading

Re: I think I need a steamer...

In Fashion Talk 1413489429.283

On 10/16/2014 piperbay said: Years ago I bought the Rowenta steamer but now I find myself using the My Little Steamer all the time since it's so convenient. This is a very good point! The Little Steamer takes about 2 minutes to set up and get hot. And it's easy to store. Plus, it's inexpensive. Mine cost $20 on sale (I think it's regularly $30). The big standing steamers are expensive, take up a lot of room (for storage), and can be a hassle to set up. Continue Reading

Page 1 of 196
1 2 3 4 ...196Next