65 Members and 18350 Guests Online

QVC Host Dan Hughes

Window Flower Box Project

Last Reply by LBinAZ 1428126107.99 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, In the Garden, Hosts & Personalities

With spring right around the corner I thought you might enjoy a simple project that is easy to do and helps spruce up your home.  Window boxes make for an attractive flower display and also bring other benefits......if you plant the right flowers.   A window box can be constructed from 5 pieces of wood.  Just measure the width of the window you wish to place it under and write that number down.  Cut your front and back of your box to that width (usually I make my boxes 8 inches tall and readily available lumber is available in that dimension.)   I recommend 3/4 ... Continue Reading

views
replies

Ode to a Ladder

Last Reply by goocharoo 1426515310.317 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends

We all fear something.  For some it is snakes or spiders for me it is a gut wrenching fear....of heights.  I have tried to overcome it but it is part of my DNA.  Rather ironic when living on a farm requires me to climb a ladder every day to get to the hay loft of the barn.  My mother told me when I was younger that it was falling out of the top bunk of the bunk beds that made me that way.  I don't remember that ever happening but the fear has been with me as long as I can look back on.  I used to drive race cars and never once felt those pains of terror... Continue Reading

views
replies

Insta-here and now Instagone

Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends 1425581578.027

Each week I try to bring you some great cleaning ideas and help you with getting your home ready for spring. When you have had a tough winter like most of us, things really need some sprucing up.  A good friend of mine Pete Chicarielli has come up with a product that has become a best seller for us here at QVC and from personal experience with it, I can tell you the stuff is like magic.   The product is called Instagone.  It comes with an empty spray bottle and seven packets of pre-measured cleaning solution.  Just mix with hot water and you’re ready to tackle you... Continue Reading

views
replies

Call in the Calvary

Last Reply by BklynKinsey 1425080395.967 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends

I usually try to avoid using chemicals in my own household cleaning projects but there are times when you just have to call in the Calvary. Let me tell you a little story about something I found many years ago that has never disappointed me in its results. Some of you may know that my passion is automobiles.  So much so, that two years ago I opened a small auto restoration shop as a way of keeping the art form alive and also being able to employ the best in the business.  It can be very dirty work some times.   De-greasing a fifty year old motor takes something a little str... Continue Reading

views
replies

Cleaning Hardwood & Laminate Floors

Last Reply by sunniegirl 1424474271.15 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends

No one's hobby is mopping or cleaning floors, even for a neat freak like myself. Your floors are the biggest real estate in your home and for most of us the biggest time consumer in terms of cleaning.  It doesn't have to be that way. Let's talk hardwood or laminate floors today and next week we will discuss how to resolve the bigger issues like discoloration and stains.   Wood floors add a warmth and beauty to a home but we forget some times that it is a natural product and needs special care.  The best part is they are easy to keep looking nice. Always vacuum or du... Continue Reading

views
replies

Remodeling Kitchen Cabinets into a TV Stand

Last Reply by Pie1993 1423003238.817 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends

I thank everyone who took the time to read my latest blogs on Redecorating, Home remodeling and the Room design. Let me say I don't consider myself to be an expert but with many projects now under my belt I have found some creative ways to save some time and definitely save money.  In one of my recent blogs we showed some pictures of the new "Man Cave" here on the farm.  I have received a lot of questions on how we did the large television stand and I wanted to share a tip with you.  With armoires no longer fitting the popular big screen TV's and storage always be... Continue Reading

views
replies

How to Paint Like a Pro:

Last Reply by Irish1210 1421368622.847 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends

How to Paint Like a Pro: This is the time of year for indoor projects.  Few things are as gratifying as changing the whole look and feel of a room with a simple, inexpensive can of paint.  It is a simple D.Y.I project that most of us can tackle in a day or weekend.  The wall I recently painted was due to a pipe from our shower busting.  Not fun.  But that's just life in an old farm house.  I repaired the leak, patched the wall and now we’re ready for paint. Before you begin, do a little planning.  Get all your supplies together first. Paint. A goo... Continue Reading

views
replies

The Making of a "Man Cave"

Last Reply by Helen Bach 1422147181.857 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends

When it turns cold outside we tend to redirect our thoughts to the inside of our homes. This is the busiest season for basement and room remodeling.   Hey Guys, what about that man cave you always wanted?   The floor space doesn't have to be large to truly enjoy a little "Guy Time" and a place you can call your own.  Here are few tips I have learned in my own remodeling projects that have become the “envy” of anyone with a "Y” chromosome.  Now, first remember that you are the King of your Castle, the Master of your Doma... Continue Reading

views
replies

White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Started by Dan Hughes in Kitchen & Food Talk, Recipe Swap, Hosts & Personalities 1418839814.613

I am a pretty simple guy and not much for fancy cookies.  Give me old fashioned sugar cookies and I’m happy.  But how about a bit of white chocolate to add to the fun, enjoy one of my favorite recipes.. it's easy, unless you burn the first batch!   White Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients 2-1/2 cups flour 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar 1 cup softened butter 1 tsp baking powder 2 eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract Bag of white chocolate chips Directions:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time; then vanilla. Add flo... Continue Reading

views
replies

MY Cat Louie

Last Reply by moon river 1420562301.553 | Started by Dan Hughes in Pet Lovers, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends

Do you believe in Christmas miracles? Well here is one for yah. Kelly and I are "dog" people. You have probably seen photos of our four legged family members. But there is one resident here I have not told you much about. His name is Louie and he is MY cat. I say that only because as sweet and loving as Kelly is towards all of God's creatures, for some reason this cat hates her. He never misses and opportunity to bite her ankles whenever she walks by. And it's not just her, Louie hates everybody. When we rescued him 10 years ago he had a piece missing from his ear from a fight he prob... Continue Reading

views
replies

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next