Meant for Mom(SM)
174 Members and 12661 Guests Online

QVC Host Dan Hughes

Mother Nature Amazes Me

Last Reply by ROMARY 1398378498.377 | Started by Dan Hughes in Pet Lovers, The Q We Love, Hosts & Personalities

After the long and harsh winter we had here at the Hughes farm I thought spring would never get here.   (This is the tree that happen to land on our home during one of the harsh winter storms) Yet just like every year, spring arrives with a sense of renewal and a fresh start for everyone.  This has become my favorite time of year.  The transformation from dull and dreary to explosions of color and the mystery of new life can only make you humble when you take the time to step back and watch Mother Nature painting her landscape.  We all get busy so it is easy to rush ... Continue Reading

views
replies

Time to Light the Trees!

Last Reply by oldchick 1386524703.61 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Holiday Advice

Last month I shared with you a few tips on the best way to light up bushes with Christmas lights.  This month lets tackle a tougher job...trees. Fir trees or any others that look like Christmas trees are somewhat easy to light.  Start at the top and drape the power cord down the back of the tree towards the ground so you can later hook up your extension cord to run power to it.  Then work your way down the tree towards the bottom either draping the lights or wrapping them in a cylindrical pattern. Hardwood trees, like Maple, Oak or Elm trees provide a different challenge.&nb... Continue Reading

views
replies

American Heart Association Walk - A Second Chance

Last Reply by livefreeordie98 1398376088.2 | Started by Dan Hughes in Health & Fitness, Hosts & Personalities, Among Friends

I am by nature a rather private individual (not easy to do when you work on TV) and I can also truly say that every single day of my life feels like a blessing.  Many of you might know that I was out of work for an extended period of time back in February....and I have never really taken the time to say why.  On February 21st, I suffered a massive heart attack that should have ended my days. But, for reasons that I cannot understand.....it did not. … I will now spend the rest of my long and happy life trying to deserve this second chance. Saturday November 9th was the 15th ... Continue Reading

views
replies

WHAT is on your face?

Last Reply by cammotors 1385659636 | Started by Dan Hughes in Health & Fitness, Q News, Hosts & Personalities

WHAT is on your face?  I have heard that question asked already a 100 times this month and the month has only been 6 days long...lol... And every time it makes me smile.  Why?  Because that means this ridiculous mustache is doing exactly what it was intended to do...You may know me from my hosting role here at QVC but you might not think of me as a Cancer survivor and/or the son of a Cancer survivor.  November is now being called Movember by 1000's of men across the country who are growing facial hair for one month to help raise more awareness towards m... Continue Reading

views
replies

Pre-planning your outdoor lighting: Bush Lighting Display

Last Reply by Finesse 1382951173.447 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Holiday Advice

Well, it is growing even closer to holiday decorating time. Hard to believe the leaves will soon be off the trees and we will be thinking of Christmas soon. That brings me to my next installment on my holiday decorating blogs.  I get e-mails all year long with people asking how to make holiday lighting look it's best and the number one question I hear is "how do you light up bushes and trees effectively"? Bushes and Trees are TOUGH.  Odd shapes, nothing is perfectly square or round, and it is difficult to do it right an not make it look like a strand of lights just hanging... Continue Reading

views
replies

Pre-planning Your Holiday Outdoor Lighting Display

Last Reply by Quinta 1384982902.16 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Holiday Advice

I start getting excited about holiday decorating at this time every year! Sure it might seem early to some of you, but the key to making your outdoor decorating display fabulous and less frustrating is the pre-planning.  I start by sitting down at the kitchen table and sketching the outline of the house on a piece of paper.  I'm no artist and you don't have to be.  Just draw in the roof lines, gutter runs, windows and doors.  It doesn't have to be to scale; it doesn't even have to be neat.  Be sure to mark on your sketch where the outside electrical receptacle... Continue Reading

views
replies

Breaking the Ice

Last Reply by pokechop 1377573041 | Started by Dan Hughes in Hosts & Personalities

How do you break the ice? Over the years I've learned a few things. But I'm always eager to learn more. Talk to you soon friends! Continue Reading

views
replies

Finding the Perfect Gift

Last Reply by kutzer 1346215881.77 | Started by Dan Hughes in Electronics Talk, Hosts & Personalities, Gift Tip Blogs

The holidays are always a time when finding the perfect gift feels just as good as possibly receiving the perfect gift. I love that QVC makes that so easy for everyone. Even for those folks on my list that people say "are hard to shop for," we have to have something that will please them.  When I was just a little boy, my older sister Janet gave me a gift at Christmas that I still remember to this day. I've always had this love affair with automobiles.  That will never end. I was the 5-year-old kid that could tell you while sitting in the backseat the name and model of every car t... Continue Reading

views
replies

Spring is right around the corner!

Last Reply by passw0rd 1355000791.49 | Started by Dan Hughes in For the Home Talk, Hosts & Personalities

I love the outdoors.  I was always the kid that mom had to drag into the house when it got dark outside.  And I am still that way.  My wife Kelly and I have really been looking forward to Spring time.  This winter has been brutal and living on a farm has it's challenges during bad weather or good, but at least sun shine warms the spirit when there is work to be done.  We are currently in "lambing" season and have 11 new additions to the growing list of animals to feed and keep happy.  There are few things as cute as a baby lamb.  They make me laugh every sing... Continue Reading

views
replies

Dan Hughes's Gift Favorites

Last Reply by Moraima 1396643558.377 | Started by Dan Hughes in Hosts & Personalities, Gift Tip Blogs

Is it really that time of year again? Really? It seems like just a few weeks ago that we finished putting away the decorations from last Christmas and started (and then ignored) a new set of New Year’s resolutions. The summer seemed to fly by as if it never happened and that just means that the holidays will be upon us before we’re ready to accept that they are, indeed, here. When I was a little kid, the gifts that meant the most were those that told me someone took the time to really think about what I liked. My older sister once gave me 50 Hot W... Continue Reading

views
replies

Page 1 of 1