Holidays at Home
145 Members and 12288 Guests Online

The Blue Jean Chef Blog

Stepping up your cooking with one easy technique!

Last Reply by mtnbikegirl 1411608417.58 | Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk, Hosts & Personalities, TSV Talk

My first sign of the Fall showed up this week. So pretty!  I've been a little worried that we won't have the spectacular colors this year that we usually do because the weather in my area has been so out of character this summer.  Of course, I have no idea what makes the colors more spectacular some years than others, so I may be worrying needlessly. Although I never really leave my kitchen at any season of the year (I split my time between kitchen and grill in the summer), with the first signs of Fall showing, it indicates to me that I'll be returning to my kitchen full time for ... Continue Reading

views
replies

Fast or Slow?

Last Reply by Dea12 1411964643.3 | Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk, TSV Talk

Have you seen those Comcast commercials on television featuring a pair of turtles called Bill and Karolyn Slowsky? They move slowly, talk slowly and argue constantly against Comcast's "way-too-fast" broadband, preferring instead a slower Internet service. They want a slow service, because you know... they are turtles and they think everything should be slow. The commercials always end with "Fast. It's not for everyone."  I laugh every time I see one.   Most of the time, I prefer fast. Fast is for me! I like to drive fast, move fast, and sometimes cook fast too. That's why I'm parti... Continue Reading

views
replies

A Taste of Fall

Last Reply by K_Bartelski 1410739063.237 | Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk, Hosts & Personalities, TSV Talk

I have this bad habit of always looking forward to the next season. Sometimes I think it takes away from the season I'm actually in, and it definitely says that I'm not "living in the moment", but I can't help it. Everyday, all day long I look forward to the next meal, and in the same way I think I look forward to the next season of food and eating. Fall is just around the corner and although I'm still enjoying the summer fruits and vegetables, I can't wait to start braising and stewing foods again, making the house smell so delicious. I suppose I could start making all those dishes now, but w... Continue Reading

views
replies

Grilling Season Is Here!

Last Reply by kimhill 1401234559.687 | Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk, TSV Talk

Summer in Pennsylvania is taking a little while to get here, but that's ok with me. Spring is my favorite season, and in my opinion makes perfect outdoor grilling weather. There are fewer bugs around (I'm a bit of a baby about bugs!) and the colors of the trees and blossoms around me are spectacular and lovely to look at. Here's my view from where I do all my spring and summer cooking. You see, I could stand there for hours quite happily...  Just as I love getting back into the kitchen in the fall, it's so liberating to get out of the kitchen in the spring and summer. This summer, I pl... Continue Reading

views
replies

Here we go again… The holidays are over and it’s a new year! Read tips on how to easily reel in the holiday binge!

Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk 1389207677.28

Here we go again… The holidays are over and it’s a new year. I have to admit… I went hog-wild over the weeks leading up to and over the holidays. I was eating whatever I wanted to eat, going out for restaurant dinners wherever I wanted to go, and enjoying holiday treats and toasts whenever I wanted to!  I knew this day would come and now it’s here. It’s time for me to reel it in a bit. It happens every year, and I know I’m not alone.   So, I thought I’d share a few tips on how to easily reel in the holiday binge.   1. Just cut the ... Continue Reading

views
replies

Holiday Traditions

Last Reply by cookieQ 1387541350.863 | Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk, Recipe Swap

Wow!  Christmas is NEXT WEEK!  How did THAT happen?! When you're a child, Christmas is a huge part of your year. You look forward to it, you anticipate what presents you might get, and, if you're in my family, you dream about what you might eat that day. For so many, Christmas means a big family meal. Now that I'm older, however, my family is spread out all over the world.  My brother and his family are in England. My parents are in France. I have a few cousins left in Canada, but most of my extended family is either in England or Trinidad. So, I find myself having small, intim... Continue Reading

views
replies

Foods of the Season

Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk, Recipe Swap 1384872960.967

Boy! All of a sudden it feels like winter! I could have sworn that October was just yesterday, but I realized today that we’re more than half way through November! How did that happen? October is one of my favorite months. The weather is great, the food is great, the trees outside look so pretty. It’s a pretty great month here in Pennsylvania. Here are some of the foods I enjoyed this October. First of all, you can still get great tomatoes in October and that’s the perfect time for slow roasting them. It’s too hot to slow roast tomatoes in the summer, but in October, y... Continue Reading

views
replies

Time for Fall Cooking

Last Reply by ellenmax 1382920693.323 | Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk, Recipe Swap

I spent last week up in Canada, which is always ahead of the curve when it comes to the arrival of autumn. I spend a lot of my time in Kingston, Ontario where spring usually appears a month later, and fall arrives a month sooner than in Philadelphia, my other home. Last week, I arrived in Kingston wearing capri pants and sandals but didn’t put them back on the entire visit! I was back to blue jeans (of course), socks and heavy sweatshirts. So, having had a week of cooler weather up in Canada, I’m really in the mood to start fall cooking again; making chilies, braises, roasts and si... Continue Reading

views
replies

What's Your Favorite Fish to Grill?

Last Reply by BLISS 1383092855.58 | Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk

With two recent downpours and the humidity rising, summer feels like it is in full swing here in Pennsylvania. That means we're all getting outside to grill (when it's not raining, that is). You may have seen me on the air recently selling fresh fish from Anderson Seafoods, and I have to say that fish is one of my favorite things to grill.  The beauty of grilling is that it is quick and easy, and there is no pot or pan to clean up at the end (unless you use a grilling tool like a basket). The great thing about grilling fish is that the quick cooking helps prevent drying out the fish, kee... Continue Reading

views
replies

Cooking on Q: My 21st QVC Cooking Event

Last Reply by SnowStorm 1363547904.64 | Started by Meredith Laurence in Kitchen & Food Talk

This Sunday, March 10 will be Cooking on Q—my 21st 24-hour cooking event at QVC! I just realized that today when driving home. That's something, no? All these cooking events have had a few things in common: tons of food, lots of people, and a fair amount of chaos. Over the years, the behind-the-scenes chaos has calmed down and is now much smoother than it used to be. When I first arrived at QVC back in 2001, cooking event day was a day that the crew sort of dreaded. Food stylists would need to scramble to secure a table on which they could present their food and products. Tongs and to... Continue Reading

views
replies

Page 1 of 11
1 2 3 4 ...11Next